New and need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chevyman6772

Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 30
Engine Size
I own a business that has specialized in 67 - 87 Chevy & GMC trucks for 20 + years. I have a 1987 K-30 that I bought in 1990 and would like to convert it from a SM 465 to a NV 4500. I have not parted out a truck with a NV4500 yet and do not know much about them. I would like to find out where to learn the best way to make this conversion and what I'll need besides the trans. I am a salvage buyer and will buy a wrecked 4x4 for the transmission but don't know if there is a certain year I should be looking for. Any help would be greatly appreciated and if I could return a favor with info or parts, I am willing.
I have 10's of thousands of parts for the trucks I deal in both new and used. I have been so busy with my day to day business that I don't get any time to research best sources and ideas for improving my own trucks. I would also like to improve my ride. I have 35" tires on my stock ride height and have had to cut front fenders. It works but does not look very good. I need to raise it a little or go to a smaller tire. Are there any good 17" 8 lug wheels that will fit that don't cost a $1,000.00 and look decent ?
Thank you for any help and I am happy that I found this site.
Bill @ Vintage Chevy Trucks

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You will have to change the bell housing too. If you're not already, but I think you are, hydro clutch, you're likely going to need to convert to hydro clutch or go with aftermarket linkage. Not 100% positive on that. I just do know the bell housing has to be chanbged for the NV4500. As far as what year, I'm not positive on this cut off either, but there is 2 different ratio NV4500's. One has a very very deep crawl ratio for granny gear, I want to say in the 6.XX ratio but there were lots of complaints on the wide gap between 2nd being the gear most used as 1st, and 3rd gear being the one most use as 2nd. So another NV4500 was used where the ratios are much better and closer together, but the crawl ratio granny gear is in the 4.xx's I do believe which should be low enough. For some reason, I'm wanting to say 94 was the cut off point. 94 on down got the high crawl ratio with the wide gap, in 95 and later you got the better closer ratio gears. I know there is alot of "not positives" there, but it will give you a place to start research, and others will also chime in with more known facts and dates. So be thinking if you need the very deep crawl ratio or not and know that you'll need to swap bell housings to get started.

Welcome to GMSB. We love seeing the K30's come together. Also plan on posting pics or feel the wrath of getting houded and your posts being ignored until you do. We're pic ****** here, but we do provide space for pics too, unlike most other forums.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Welcome! Are you advertising in any classic truck magazines? That business name sounds very familiar.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Use the search feature of the forum, I think bits and pieces of this has been discussed many times. I think you could search "NV4500" and find everything you need to know but maybe not all in one post or thread. Good luck and if you get it done you should take some pics and do a write-up and post it here! :cheers:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Welcome! I'd like to help you out with swap info, but there would be a lot of "I think" or "I've heard" getting tossed around.

If you want cheap 17's that look decent, look into picking up a set of late model Dodge wheels.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Welcome! I'd like to help you out with swap info, but there would be a lot of "I think" or "I've heard" getting tossed around.

If you want cheap 17's that look decent, look into picking up a set of late model Dodge wheels.

:bowroflwerd6: Just like me. As said, I just KNOW, you have to change the bell housing, and there are 2 different ratio NV4500's for GM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Villano