Need new Tcase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Magnum44357

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Alright, just took ur word for it! pickin it up tomorrow after work for $80

Think I should order a gasket and seal kit for it? ebay has em for $125 :p not sure if I wanna bother if the case is only worth $80 haha

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
There you go. That's how it's done. $80 is whole lot better than those first 2 you posted up. One was $300 the 2nd was rebuilt for $450 and was the one you needed. So now, you have a good core for $80, and a rebuild kit for $125 and done yourself, now you have an almost good as new Tcase for $205. That's how we do things on this forum. And yes, it's worth the rebuild kit. You just bought a core is all.
But, hold off on ordering the kit til you see it. You may pick it up and all signs of it being a recent rebuild then why bother spending the money. If it feels sloppy or looks like it has leaks then rebuild it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Still don't throw your broken one away. If your willing to tear it apart a bit and sell some parts cheap to convert one of mine, I'd be interested. Pretty much the input shaft, bearing, and that front nose cover is about all I should need, but if you're shipping in a Flat Rate box, may as well include all that you can fit in it incase I need other parts behind the input shaft to make the conversion. LMAO, you could probably get almost all the internals of an NP208 in a large flat rate box. :waytogo: Then I'll just install those parts into one of my 700r4 unit and I can get my A833 going a bit quicker.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Alright, just took ur word for it! pickin it up tomorrow after work for $80

Think I should order a gasket and seal kit for it? ebay has em for $125 :p not sure if I wanna bother if the case is only worth $80 haha

How did you do Terrence? Did you get it picked up??? Get it installed yet???

Magnum44357

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Sorry for the late response! been real busy at work.

Ok so yeah I picked it up on Thursday! it looks like its in great shape. unfortunately I do see a lot of permatex, so I am definitely going to order that gasket/seal kit for $125. I fortunately got paid yesterday so I'll do it today after work! haha

and yeah If the new one drops in fine and there is no issues with it, then u can definitely buy parts of the old one for cheap. but keep in mind the case itself has a crack in it and when I did the fluid change i found alot of metal shavings. that being said, currently it still works perfectly, so it may not be too damaged internally!

and no haven't had any time to do some wrenching, but possibly sunday or monday I will

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
All that permatex might be a good thing. Just might mean someone rebuilt it. Then again, maybe not. Maybe they just resealed it all with a tube of silicone. You know, like those motors that were advertised, Rebuilt with a New Paint Job. They meant just that. Rebuilt with a new paint job. Cleaned and painted and called rebuilt !!! :rofl:
I agree, if you have the funds, go for it. The peace of mind will be there if you do the kit, and it should be good for another 100,000 miles. Do expect to find some slop in the chain, that will be normal wear. I think once they stretch so far, they pretty much stop stretching. I've really never heard of chains breaking or slipping being a big problem on the chain driven units. But good deal. Glad to see you got that deal instead of paying $400.

Magnum44357

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
yeah exactly what I was thinking with the permatex too haha.

I went down to a local 4x4 shop called billy bobs offroad today and he brought out a seal/gasket kit for an np208, only asking $40! is that even possible?!?!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
For just gaskets and seals, sure that's possible. That other kit you seen probably included bearings, thrust washers etc.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
mabey this is just me, but why would you want an aluminum tcase?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
mabey this is just me, but why would you want an aluminum tcase?

Because it fits, no driveline mods, no shifter mods and they are cheap. They're much more durable than you'd think. Normally when they break it's not due to hard abuse, it's usually they had gone past their limit, needed rebuilt with new bearings, then the abuse tends become more prevalant and it trashes something inside the case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale Downes