need help with alternator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Oh- in that case the pulley I mentioned above probably wouldn't be good. It makes the alternator spin even faster to put out more current at low RPM.

I'm not sure what else can throw a belt other than misaligned pulleys or a pulley that has a dent/bend in it.

Last year I bought a new alternator belt and it kept flipping upside down though. I threw it out and bought another brand. Haven't had a problem since.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Just reread my question and I see that i need to clarify it. It does fine at idle to 4000 rpm but then it throws belts at anything over 4000 rpm. The pulleys all line up and there is not much play in the belt. i am looking for a pulley for belt retention when the motor shifts at 5000 to 6000 so that it will not throw the ac belt.

That's why you should upgrade to the newer style that Ceaser and me mentioned earlier. I am using the A/C set up minus the A/C. I guess its actually from an 87'

The V belts are old technology. There is a reason they have gone to the new serpentine styled belt. Cause it works better!

Last edited:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I am gonna put that same setup on to a non A/C truck and run dual v belts to the power steering pump. I am going to have the water pump pulley machined to remove the forward v belt groove and the rear v belt groove leaving only the flat alternator groove on the pulley.

This will allow me to run 2 small v belts, that are the same size, with a double grooved pulley on the power steering pump.

The reason being that with that rear A/C v belt groove on the water pump pulley, you can not run the power steering belt only to the crankshaft pulley. It has to go over the water pump because there is insufficient room to go below it. So with it removed I will have room for 2 identical V belts going only from the crankshaft to the power steering pump.

On the 87 the power steering pump is different and is set back to line up with the very rear groove on the crankshaft pulley ... BUT... on ours the power steering pump lines up with 2nd from rear groove on the crankshaft pulley. So that's why the power steering pump on mine goes up and over the water pump.

Last edited:

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
yea the belt can't handle the resistance from the alternator pulley once the alternator starts charging at a high amp rate. thirsty your not the only one who had this issue. if you search the web for cs144 upgrade you'll see other folks with the same problem.

Sent from the dust in front of you!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barnabyjo