need help W/ Big Chevy C40 stake bed 1.5 ton

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jake wells

Can i be me?
Reaction score
First Name
jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe 10
Engine Size
Well boys and girls i got this old truck in the barn (not mine friend of mine) 1962 chevy C40 stake bed 235 4 speed 1.5 ton. He is paying me to fix his brakes

It needs brake shoes and wheel cylinder kits the parts house only goes up to a C30 1 ton would any of yall know were i could find brake parts for this battleship.

let me know

--Jake

nxtlevl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
That might be a tough find......

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Sounds like Rockwell territory, or a big ole school bus axle...post a pic.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Whatever you do, don't throw those parts away. You'll need them for matching up to new parts since in those big medium duty trucks there is likely several different applications. Also, if it happens to be that the parts aren't available, you might have to take the parts to a place who remans those type of parts and have those shoes rebuilt, and the cylinders bored and oversize rubbers and springs installed in them.
I say you're not likley to find these parts at a local discount chain auto parts store. A good chance a Napa store might be able to help though. If that doesn't work, you might need to get in touch with a medium duty truck service place and see if they might turn you on to a place for parts. If you were in So Cal, I'd know right where to send you. I had to work on a 69 International Loadstar one time and had the same issue. I ended up going to a place that carried nothing but brakes parts and they carried parts from riding lawn mowers all the way up to biggo CAT oversize mining dump trucks.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Look and see if you have a heavy trucking parts place like this in your area...
http://www.wvspring.com/
If not, give those guys a call, they really know their ****. You may end up having to find a suitable replacement axle if it's going to be a real oddball.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
I know of a fire dept. that still uses one of these. So parts should still be out there.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'd imagine parts are still out there, just a matter of finding them. Believe it or not, those brake pads still might even be a current model #, but the trick will be to find somone who has the book that goes back that far, or to crossover to the newer part #. Sometimes, the shoe itself will be a different newer # and just have an extra hole punched in it for never models. Wheel cylinders shouldn't be that hard to rebuild if you know what size cups and dust cover boots you need.

jake wells

Can i be me?
Reaction score
First Name
jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe 10
Engine Size
Sorry guys im been away.... I actually located the parts and got the brakes repaired i drove to a shop about 30 minutes from here and got the parts.

They were not cheap but it is fixed the wheel cylinders were 32.00 each with tax and front and rear shoes were 108.21 with tax the manufacturer was Raybestos.

It will pull a skid now with the brakes fixed :grd: and burn the tires in 2nd gear :roflbow: .

I tuned up the 235 put a new valve cover gasket on adjusted the valves and cleaned the sludge jelly **** out of the valve cover. changed all the fluids, bleed the brakes and slave cylinder and touched the timing a hair and she runs like a champ now

hope it likes Rotella T 15W40 and a WIX oil filter.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Welcome Back !!! Sounds great. Rotella would have been the best choice and Wix filters are decent.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
If I can find it, there is an oil filter study out on the internet that's pretty well in depth. Of course a Fram rep came into that forum raising hell saying this test is old, and it also does not do real live testing which is true. The guy just cut open many filters to show the quality of them. I oughta find the link and start a thread rather than hijack this one and turn into an oil filter. I'll try to do that.

BTW Jakester, hope you don't mind. I moved this thread from General Discussion to Other Vehicles. We're just trying to keep things well organized and tidy !!! :waytogo:

Last edited:

greencountry05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Skinny
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
If I can find it, there is an oil filter study out on the internet that's pretty well in depth. Of course a Fram rep came into that forum raising hell saying this test is old, and it also does not do real live testing which is true. The guy just cut open many filters to show the quality of them. I oughta find the link and start a thread rather than hijack this one and turn into an oil filter. I'll try to do that.

BTW Jakester, hope you don't mind. I moved this thread from General Discussion to Other Vehicles. We're just trying to keep things well organized and tidy !!! :waytogo:

I have read that as well. Got any pics of this monster truck? Next time I'm out at the neighbors I will get pics of the one they have, it's a 67-72 round'about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adhkjashda