need help ordering from Advanced Adapters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boltbrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K20
Engine Size
Thanks, I guess I don't know what clocking is. is it the way the two pieces mate up rotation wise?
Well, a NP241 or NP261 is most likely going to be a driver drop T-case... which is going to need a different front axle than your stock passenger drop front axle... so it's not an apples to apples comparison. A stock NP241 would have been a manual shift T-case just like the 261, so I'm not sure what you mean about temperamental.

What is the output on the 2005 NV4500? Didn't they go to 32 spline outputs with the round pattern connection on everything at some point in the late 90's or early 2000's?
I've got a Dana44 thats heavy duty, meaning its got the 13" brakes front and rear. thicker axles too. Would the 261 go with that front axle? not sure what you mean by driver drop T-case. You mean the shifter is on the driver's side? By temperamental I mean the 241 is always real hard to shift, and it's got to be sitting still, and always feels like I'm about to break something, like the stick is just pushing against a spring or something. I still have it. It was hard to shift before I put a bearing kit in it. It's actually the 241 HD but its in a diesel dodge. It never really pops into 4L either, it just gets up there and stays without popping in, or back out. That stick always feels like there's something trying to block it. The 205 moves just a little bit between gears, real easy and pops right into each gear like it wants to stay there.Hard to describe.
Thanks very much for the ORD reference, that's good to know.
But if the 26- would work that would sure be easy

boltbrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K20
Engine Size
Thanks very much for the ORD reference, that's good to know.
But if the 26- would work that would sure be easy
I accidentally typed in the wrong space, here's what I said above :
I have a Dana 44 HD. not sure what you mean by driver drop T case, is that the shifter being on the driver's side? Would the Dana44 HD work with the 261?
By temperamental I mean the 241 I have is just real hard to push into and out of gear, and won't move at all unless the engine is idling, and the wheels are stationary. Whereas the 205 pops into each gear like it wants to stay in the gear. Thanks much

boltbrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K20
Engine Size
If that is true, then the late NV4500 would have to have the round pattern and a 32 spline output.

I guess the real questions we would need to know in order to help is...
1)What did the NV4500 come out of(what was the original application)
2)What was the original combo in the truck(what was the NP205 originally bolted up to?)
The NV4500 came out of a 2005 Chevy 4X4 with a NP261 T case, and the NP205 is currently bolted to a SM465 manual in my 79 Chevy which has a HD Dana44

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I accidentally typed in the wrong space, here's what I said above :
I have a Dana 44 HD. not sure what you mean by driver drop T case, is that the shifter being on the driver's side? Would the Dana44 HD work with the 261?
By temperamental I mean the 241 I have is just real hard to push into and out of gear, and won't move at all unless the engine is idling, and the wheels are stationary. Whereas the 205 pops into each gear like it wants to stay in the gear. Thanks much
Your dana 44 has the pumpkin(and driveshaft) on the passenger side of the truck and the driveshaft going down the passenger side of the engine. Your NP205 sits on the transmission so that the transfer case "drops" to the passenger side of the truck so that the front driveshaft yoke is on the passenger side of the truck. The C/K trucks after 1988 use an independent front suspension with the front diff input on the drivers side of the truck. The transfer case therefore "drops" to the drivers side of the truck and the driveshaft mounts on the drivers side of the engine. You can't use a driver drop transfer case on a passenger drop axle or else the driveshaft would have to cross under the engine from one side of the truck to the other.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
Well, a NP241 or NP261 is most likely going to be a driver drop T-case... which is going to need a different front axle than your stock passenger drop front axle... so it's not an apples to apples comparison. A stock NP241 would have been a manual shift T-case just like the 261, so I'm not sure what you mean about temperamental.

What is the output on the 2005 NV4500? Didn't they go to 32 spline outputs with the round pattern connection on everything at some point in the late 90's or early 2000's?
I'm sure he is talking about the np241C, which came about in like 89 or 90 (maybe 91 even, whenever they changed to VSS/Dram module speedometers instead of mechanical cables.

boltbrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K20
Engine Size
Your dana 44 has the pumpkin(and driveshaft) on the passenger side of the truck and the driveshaft going down the passenger side of the engine. Your NP205 sits on the transmission so that the transfer case "drops" to the passenger side of the truck so that the front driveshaft yoke is on the passenger side of the truck. The C/K trucks after 1988 use an independent front suspension with the front diff input on the drivers side of the truck. The transfer case therefore "drops" to the drivers side of the truck and the driveshaft mounts on the drivers side of the engine. You can't use a driver drop transfer case on a passenger drop axle or else the driveshaft would have to cross under the engine from one side of the truck to the other.
Thanks, There’s a few 208s at the local wrecking yards, but I’ll probably just get the AA adapter for my 79 205 because I like it better. Also considering making it two wheel drive.

boltbrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K20
Engine Size
The adapter on the 05 Chevy NV4500 i bought the other day is wide open from the rear, and inside I see two gears engaged with the trans. output shaft, which doesn’t disengage from them, what are those gears for? There was a 261 bolted to that adapter. The main shaft out has 32 teeth like you said btw. Many thanks

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The adapter on the 05 Chevy NV4500 i bought the other day is wide open from the rear, and inside I see two gears engaged with the trans. output shaft, which doesn’t disengage from them, what are those gears for? There was a 261 bolted to that adapter. The main shaft out has 32 teeth like you said btw. Many thanks
Those are the reverse gears. Yep, they're outside the main case.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iiixtremeiii