need help...bad!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bc32i

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
1985 & 1987
Truck Model
k10 & r2500
Engine Size
400& 350
Hi guys, I have a real head scratcer going on with my 87 gmc r2500, 350 tbi motor, I just took the motor out of my brothers 93 chevy pick up,has around 40k on it ran great in his truck. I swapped it to my 87, using my tbi and sensors fired it up and it ran good for a few minutes. Then the headaches began, it would run really rough almost like it was missing then clear up and run perfect, heres a list of things I have done and had done by mechanics (3 different ones) plugs, wires, cap, rotor, all new vacuum lines, fuel filter, replaced the ecm,tps, cts, map, o2 sensors, new distributor, egr, tbi off the 93, then rebuilt the 87 tbi and put it back on and still the same thing. I put a new iac valve in last night and still the same thing. Ive sprayed the manifold with starter fluid to check for leaks all is good I have not checked the fuel pressure yet because it does it on both tanks so my thinking was it wasnt the pumps. The only code I have is a 24, wich is a vss code, but the truck was in park when it went off. I am trying to get it on video and post it to YouTube so I csn show people but its so sporadic. Its driving me nuts! I will be doing a fuel pressure check this weekend and keep you posted. Any ideas on this problem?

chevyk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
1984 chevy
Truck Model
k-10
Engine Size
358 Dart block with aluminum heads 430hp/450ft-lb torque
Sounds like a timing issue. It's trying to move the ignition timing to "learn". Get you a one wire distributor and it should work fine. Try to verify by putting a timing light on it by making sure it's not retarding the timing. May try 87 distributor in the 93 engine. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chevyk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
1984 chevy
Truck Model
k-10
Engine Size
358 Dart block with aluminum heads 430hp/450ft-lb torque
May also be a return problem. Did 87 have a return line? I think the 93 did May kill the fuel pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bc32i

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
1985 & 1987
Truck Model
k10 & r2500
Engine Size
400& 350
Distributor is new from summit for an 87, I tried going back to the orignal distributor, and yes it does have a return line, but so did the 93.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickybobby69