Need fueling help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PnwK20

Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Cheyenne
Engine Size
I'm running out ideas on why I'm not getting fuel.

1977 Chevy k20 Cheyenne 350 with carter 4bbl and 4 speed manual w/granny low

I was driving home from work one day and my truck started acting like it was out of fuel but then it went to normal and I drove a couple more miles and it did it again for couple more miles it was fine and then finally shut off. Got it home and tested for spark and spark is fine and then tested fuel, I'm not getting any fuel to my carburetor. Replaced the fuel pump and lines to the carburetor and new clear filter. Used a syringe to fill the bowl through the vent and it started for a brief second and shut off. Still no fuel in the filter, I have dual tanks and they both have fuel. The only thing I have not tried yet is inserting a compressor nozzle into the line and blowing to see if debris out. Is there something I am missing? Any other ideas you can think of?

All help is greatly appreciated

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
If original float assemblies the pick-up tube(s) could have a pin hole. I would replace all the rubber lines and blow out the hard lines. Use polypropylene fuel line line, as the new ethanol-gas deteriorates rubber.

Geektrucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale Suburban C10
Engine Size
350, Vortec Heads, Hi-rise intake, long tube headers, BIG bump stick
In the worth a try category... Have you tried by-passing the tank switch? Are both tanks giving you a fit, or just one?

Sent from my LGUS991 using Tapatalk

PnwK20

Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Cheyenne
Engine Size
The carter carb is less than a year old, the pump and the hoses from pump to the carb are all 3/8 fuel line. Even if I take the like off the pump that goes to the carb and turn it over no fuel comes out of the lines

PnwK20

Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Cheyenne
Engine Size
In the worth a try category... Have you tried by-passing the tank switch? Are both tanks giving you a fit, or just one?

Sent from my LGUS991 using Tapatalk

Both tanks are giving me problems

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You have clogged lines-prolly rust, dirt etc. in the main line to pump. If the tanks are original, I am willing to bet that's your problem.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I changed both sending units in dad's tanks last year, the "socks" on the pickup tubes looked like they were full of varnish. I'm sure there was some restriction there.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
I'm betting this has something to do with the switching unit. Mine let go and did the same thing right after I bought my truck. I just bypassed it with some fuel hose and I've been good to go ever since. My $$ is on that.

And x10000000 on the fuel hose suggestion. I've got a write-up on it in the engine section. You need to be using "fuel injection hose" as the old rubber stuff practically dissolves in the new ethanol fuel. I discovered this when I had a real bad fuel smell in the engine bay, popped the hood and found fuel pooled all over the frame, engine crossmember, etc. Keep in mind the fuel hose was less than a year old... Yeah. Not good.

Edit: Here is my write-up on the subject: http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13208

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
sounds like you are sucking air. you just need to find out where. have you tried to disconnect the feed line to the fuel pump and run it straight into a gas can? highdesertranger

PnwK20

Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Cheyenne
Engine Size
Sorry for the absence, I haven't had the opportunity to monkey with it yet, hopefully over the weekend

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charkmapman