Need an electrical (220v) second opinion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hunter79764

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V20
Engine Size
Sounds like you're set up, and I agree with your advice so far.
If you trench your power line, consider running an extra run of conduit. You never know what else you might want to run later. Maybe pull bigger wire, maybe run compressed air back to the house, maybe run a water line to the shop... Always easier to put a second run in an open trench than to dig another one later.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Sounds like you're set up, and I agree with your advice so far.
If you trench your power line, consider running an extra run of conduit. You never know what else you might want to run later. Maybe pull bigger wire, maybe run compressed air back to the house, maybe run a water line to the shop... Always easier to put a second run in an open trench than to dig another one later.
Had thoughts about running a gas line out for a future furnace but the wife doth protest too much. We dont want to live here any longer than we have to - but my take is the old "linear predictions in a non-linear world" rule.....iow, things can happen where we're stuck here a few more years [please God NO] and not only would I have use of it in the meantime but 220 in a garage IMO wouldn't hurt the value of a house any.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Had thoughts about running a gas line out for a future furnace but the wife doth protest too much. We dont want to live here any longer than we have to - but my take is the old "linear predictions in a non-linear world" rule.....iow, things can happen where we're stuck here a few more years [please God NO] and not only would I have use of it in the meantime but 220 in a garage IMO wouldn't hurt the value of a house any.
a gas line even without a furnace to the garage would likely not hurt value either, give another prospective owner a promising shop idea

Hunter79764

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V20
Engine Size
How far is the trench? A spool of underground rated yellow poly pipe from Home Depot might be worth it, even if you don't finish it off with the expensive fittings on the ends. Never let an empty trench go to waste...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M37M35