Mystery wire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

My78truck

'Ol Holly
Reaction score
First Name
Becky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L
I have this wire that has not home. Was wondering if anyone might know what it would go to. I used to have an 8-track player, many years ago, then a cassette player. Both are gone. The first picture is of the connection end, the second is where it connects/splices into a orange wire, and the 3rd pic is where the orange wire connects into the fuse block.

Can anyone provide some insight or have seen this before?

Thanks.

You must be registered for see images attach

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
looks like a fuse holder. There should be a round fuse(just like the ones in the fuse block) that slides in the end in your first pic and then there should be another shorter end that clips onto the end of that and goes to whatever that powers.

My78truck

'Ol Holly
Reaction score
First Name
Becky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L
Is the wire spring loaded inside the white plastic piece? Looks like one end of an in-line fuse holder. Probably went to your no longer present eight track.

Yes if I pull on the blue wire, it appears to be spring loaded. I wish when the accessories are removed, the wiring guys would remove the non-needed wire.

So, since it is very apparently not powering anything, it would be safe to disconnect at the connection point where the blue and orange come together?

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Yes

Danderson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yes if I pull on the blue wire, it appears to be spring loaded. I wish when the accessories are removed, the wiring guys would remove the non-needed wire.

So, since it is very apparently not powering anything, it would be safe to disconnect at the connection point where the blue and orange come together?

Yep, safe to remove.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The plug into the fuse panel 2 orange wires, is likely not OEM either.
If the other orange is isnt running anything you can unplug it from the fuse panel altogether. That looks like a ”spare” port in the fuse panel. Something nice bout these trucks is there’s places to tap fused power easily for accessories.
the fuse next to it labeled accy is the fuse for that terminal the orange wires are plugged into.

My78truck

'Ol Holly
Reaction score
First Name
Becky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L
Thanks grit dog. i have disconnected the blue completely. i will take your advice and disconnect the orange and wrap electrical tape around it. I will do the same for the mysterious double pink wires that are currently unplugged from the block and have not affected anything. :rolleyes:

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
the wiring guys would remove the non-needed wire.

Lol, you say that as if it wasn't just some random PO, that had no idea what they were doing.:rotflmao:

My78truck

'Ol Holly
Reaction score
First Name
Becky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L
Lol, you say that as if it wasn't just some random PO, that had no idea what they were doing.:rotflmao:

Given some of the people I have run into, sometimes I wonder. ;)

My78truck

'Ol Holly
Reaction score
First Name
Becky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L
So, MAYBE, I have solved the problem. Not sure yet. Per the attached wiring diagram that I found, this could have something to do with my cruise control. Until I get the cab back together and seats and seatbelts in place I cannot test this theory. If it is for my cruise control, GREAT!!! But still not sure why there is a not connection beyond what is connected to the fuse block. Stay tuned!!!!! :rolleyes:

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Cruise control was a new option in about ‘75, or was dealer installed, so the wiring might not have been part of the basic cab harness until later on. When that happens they often used one of those plug-in connectors you have to pull power from the fuse panel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Linemanjl