MSD ignition?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobkyle2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
Trying to get some info on MSD box's.

I was getting ready to just order a MSD starter saver, but have read some boxes have it built in. My timing is locked at 40 degrees + high compression big block.. Even have about the best starter money can buy, Running 2 batterys. Still have trouble starting.

And trying to do this the cheapest way. I have a MSD 6a in the truck now. But it does not have the start retard build in.

I've read that the 6AL does have it built it, but i found one locally used. And i don't think it had anything like that. I ended up not buying it.

You can buy the MSD 8984 starter retard box seperatly. And i will if i can't come up with another plan. But if i can get everything in one box, for cheapish, i will do that. And put the box i have now on another truck i'm building..

Any advice is welcome!

bobkyle2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
No one?

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
You sure it is related to your distributor and not some fueling issue? Or is your choke setup correctly (don't know if you have a carb of fuel injection)

And you have a gear reduction starter? I just bought one for the first time and am amazed by it.

bobkyle2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
You sure it is related to your distributor and not some fueling issue? Or is your choke setup correctly (don't know if you have a carb of fuel injection)

And you have a gear reduction starter? I just bought one for the first time and am amazed by it.

Yes, its got 40degrees of timing in it, and the dist is locked out. It don't have an advance on it anymore.

Has a 1050 cfm Quickfuel carb, no choke. Big dome pistons,zero decked and heads milled. 15:1ish compression Big block

Has a 4hp gear reduction starter, And its not let us down yet. But it makes you wonder if its going to start sometimes.

And everything is new...

No altenator or any other accessories. Usually crank the engine over with the ignition off and once its spinning good, flip the ignition on and it fires. But once the ignition is on if it don't fire right off it cranks super hard.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
at least he didn't say "I lube u". highdesertranger

BigAl285

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
383 S.B.C
What kind of fuel system you running, how far away are your batteries and what size cable you running?

farmerchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
at that compression i would use the msd starter saver,its only a 100 bucks and anything else involve a control system that you have to buy in addition to your ignition box.that involves lots more dollars invested.with the starter saver you can retard either 10 or 20 degrees timing.take a lot of strain off the starting system. only way i say to go with control system is boost or nitrous application where you need multi stage timing retard.

bobkyle2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
What kind of fuel system you running, how far away are your batteries and what size cable you running?

Its a Aeromotive electric pump mounted at the tank.With their matching filter,8AN push lock hose and fittings.1050 cfm Quickfuel carb,Quickfuel regulator (I don't turn the pump on until the engine fires)

2 Napa Legend batterys mounted in bed.(Don't remember the cranking amps) I don't know the size of the cable, but they are heavy duty cable from the coal mine i work at, that they use on all their equipment.
at that compression i would use the msd starter saver,its only a 100 bucks and anything else involve a control system that you have to buy in addition to your ignition box.that involves lots more dollars invested.with the starter saver you can retard either 10 or 20 degrees timing.take a lot of strain off the starting system. only way i say to go with control system is boost or nitrous application where you need multi stage timing retard.

Yeah, i think that is what i'm going to do. Just buy the starter saver.

BigAl285

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
383 S.B.C
Do you have a return for your fuel? A buddy of mine doesn't and his pump is dead heading which makes it hard to start. Another moved the batteries into the cab also but had small cable since he had to run from the cab to a master battery shut off switch an then back to the starter. I was making sure the simple issues are covered.

bobkyle2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
Its got a return.

It cranks fine, until you flip the coil on and it trys to fire,

Forum statistics