Meaning of "Bonus Cab" in 1985

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

varmit86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
The 3+3 meaning is 3 people in front and three in the back, GM made these Bouns cab trucks for peole that did not want the rear seat and alot of conversion companies bought them so they could put in the pull out bed as yours appears to have.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Thanks for all the well wishes guys!

It has some engine issues that I'm still trying to figure out, but I drove the 30 miles all the way home. I'll probably make a post about the motor problems soon.

Let us know, maybe we can help. 454??

OsmiumTetroxide

Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Let us know, maybe we can help. 454??
Yes! It has a 454 that appears to have been rebuilt. It runs awful at higher rpm, and builds zero oil pressure at idle, 30 pounds when wound up. I've taken the valve covers off, replaced the oil pump, checked for slop in the bearings, and magnet-checked the oil. No signs of a fragged bearing or bad wear, and there's oil on the (badly lapped) rockers, so I don't think I ruined it by driving it home. I assumed the factory gauge was bad before getting it on the road, only to find that it did seem to work once we got it back. It seems like it could be a stuck lifter, or something of the sort. Once I get a little more time I'll tear back into it and make some posts.

Last edited:

OsmiumTetroxide

Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
The 3+3 meaning is 3 people in front and three in the back, GM made these Bouns cab trucks for peole that did not want the rear seat and alot of conversion companies bought them so they could put in the pull out bed as yours appears to have.
Mine doesn't have a pullout bed, but I wish it did!

OsmiumTetroxide

Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Hey, you're famous. Or at least your truck is..

Can you confirm the placement of that emblem? The pic you posted makes the emblem look like it sits part way above the body line.
Yes, the badge sits right on the body line. It's weird, but like the pictures someone else posted here would indicate, the badge has a lip on one end that slants out to meet with the receding sheet metal. It fits up nicely, although I don't blame you guys for wondering why they would put it there.

OsmiumTetroxide

Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Glad you made it over :handshake: I’m the guy on GMFS who referred you to this sit :High 5:
Thanks man, there is obviously an incredible knowledge base here! I appreciate the invite.

Southcoast85

Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC c10
Engine Size
would look better in my garage, just saying

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads