Mapping out a resto-mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mike837go

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
?5.7? V8
Hi All,

I have a 1984 K20 that is a mixed bag of rusted-out and ready-for-action.

Everything from the NP208 transfer case all the way to the ground is in great shape. All of the tie rods in the front end were replaced less than 2,000 miles ago. Total brake service right before that. The rockers and cab corners were done too.

Buuuuutttt the frame is rusted out to almost useless. The gas guszzling 5.7 is in need of an overhaul and I hate putting up with a 3-speed auto trans.

And it has a snowplow with engine-driven hydraulics (love that!) and a steak-bed dump body.

What I want to do is get a donor truck (C or K, 20 or 30) for the frame.

Buy a 4.0L L6 Diesel and 5 or 6 speed manual transmission.

Then put the whole thing back together with new wiring, guages, steering column, etc. using new 'hot rod' and aftermarket direct replacement parts.

My killer hurdles are:
  • a single source for the engine, bell housing, clutch & transmission (I do not want to experiment with the possible combinations. I'm willing to buy that wisdom from a good vendor.)
  • the donor for the frame

Any ideas on good sources for engines-by-size rather than by original application?

Where does one search for a non-running truck that the owner doesn't even realize it has some value?

Thanks for the help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76