Lucas Trans Fix in manual trans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I saw their product advertising says it helps make shifts move nice and freely, and thought that mind not be a bad idea. But I know synchros are corroded by synthetic gear lube, so there may be similar ingredients. the only thing of note on its SDS is "Distillates (petroleum), solvent-refined heavy naphthenic" its anywhere from 60% to 100%

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Is this another squirrel moment, or a particular question/issue about a particular vehicle?
I'll assume you have a hard to shift 465 in your plow truck?
1. How old is the oil in it and what is in it? Seen plenty of pics of rusted crusty stuff and strange remedies posted by you, so first things first.
2. You just posted a pic of a 5 gal jug of new, old gear oil that you were using in a trailer. That will work in your truck.
3. Cold weather and higher weight oils make shifting a pain.
4. IF it's the plow truck, you could probably use vegetable oil for the next 20 years and not wear out the trans based on your use.
5. Back to #3 above. 50wt MT fluid of any sort/brand will shift easier than the recommended 80-90w. 40-50wt engine oil, same. ATF will work too.

If this is in a vehicle that actually gets driven alot of miles, high load or hot weather (IE not your plow truck), then stick with recommended gear oil or any sort of syncromesh oil.

Don't bother with the Lucas. BTW that sht did keep a turbo 350 alive in my blazer plow truck for a whole winter when the trans wouldn't work on it's own. Different situation than yours.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshuOne