Looking for help with purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Azrr14

Reaction score
First Name
Rafael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Hi I'm new to this site and have been searching trying to get some info. I'm looking to buy a crew cab and found one I want to go see that has cummins swap done with a 92 cummins. What help I'm looking to get is what should I look for when looking at this truck as far as the cummins and the swap? And what would be a good price I should expect to pay for the truck? The truck is an 84 with a 6" lift d60 front, 4x4 is not connected needs a transfer case/trans. Dose run and drive. Any help would be great thanks.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Sounds like an unfinished project. Some pictures would really help out here, but the value could vary widely. I won't even give my 2 cents, the truck market where I'm at is completely different.

Azrr14

Reaction score
First Name
Rafael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Thanks for the reply. I still need to go look at the truck this week. There wasn't much for pictures on craigslist. I talked to the guy and he said he's been driving it for two years and never worried about the 4x4 due to him never needing it bit who knows. The trans it currently has is a rebuilt one with overdrive from the same truck the cummins came from. What's the average cost involved with doing this kind of swap? The trucks here in the 2wd dually configuration go anywhere from 1500 to 3000.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
I don't know firsthand how much a cummins swap costs. A classmate of mine has paid to have a guy in Oregon do two his trucks, and each was $10,000. He sent the guy the truck as a stock truck, it came back as a turn-key cummins powered truck. And this price was mid-90's, so I am sure it costs more now.

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
look at the motor mounts!

there either really cobbed up or nicely done, also check out the wiring cummins doesn't need more than 6 or seven wires but they can still be cobbed up

asked if the dowel pin was fixed if he says whats that? RUN

Konas new ride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gerald
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I would crawl under it and check out why it doesn't have the front end going. I wonder.. Did he use a 2wd trans and not put in a tcase.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
look at the motor mounts!

there either really cobbed up or nicely done, also check out the wiring cummins doesn't need more than 6 or seven wires but they can still be cobbed up

asked if the dowel pin was fixed if he says whats that? RUN

If it runs good he could always fix that himself.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I would crawl under it and check out why it doesn't have the front end going. I wonder.. Did he use a 2wd trans and not put in a tcase.

Sounds to me like he cheaped out on the 4wd tranny because it takes a bit of knowledge and $ to do the swap. As far as I know the NV4500/205 is the only real way to go.

Its real easy to just stick a dodge 2wd tranny behind the thing. but that kinda defeats the purpose of doing it in a 4X4

Konas new ride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gerald
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Sounds to me like he cheaped out on the 4wd tranny because it takes a bit of knowledge and $ to do the swap. As far as I know the NV4500/205 is the only real way to go.

Its real easy to just stick a dodge 2wd tranny behind the thing. but that kinda defeats the purpose of doing it in a 4X4

Possibly he has the 4x4 SB and decided he wanted the cummins. ran outta funds and just used a 2wd trans.. Anything is possible.. Worth a two second look.. I would look under there anyhow.. see if much has been messed with or messed up..

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
Its a pretty simple fix once he gets the front of the engine off lol

your absolutely right, I guess my point was if the KDP wasn't fixed and previous owner knew nothing about it, bad things are going to are already did happen

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dpickett1981