Looking for a new muffler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1979_stepside

Reaction score
First Name
Isaac
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have a stock 1979 chevy step side, I'm wondering what muffler should buy. Was looking at cherry bombs or flow master 40. Is it the 2.5 inch inlet/outlet? straight through or offset? thanks

The88

Mhmm
Reaction score
First Name
ThatGuy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I am running a 40 with an offset single in/out but its whatever you want to work with or have the muffler shop use. I had a single in dual out with dumps and that got old. Couldn't hear yourself think in the truck and the exhaust fumes sucked right into the cab. Had them swap in a single since I don't believe in running fake duals off of my old muffler. If you want duals go true. Any way I had it run out the back and it is much quieter in the cab and no more exhaust smell.

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
Currently running stock manifolds into true duals into a pair of 2.5 in/out flowmaster 40's. They don't have any exhaust tips yet, so they dump right under the bed... pretty loud with a lot of droning in the cab after anything higher than about 20mph. Sounds great outside, but a ton of drone and exhaust floats up between the cab and bed when sitting still. Definitely make sure you run exhaust all the way out.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I think if you have HIDeez and blackwheel, you must run a MAGNAFLOW.

I like Hooker (mufflers) ;)

super turbo baby, yeah! :headbang:

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I like Flowmaster 50 series 3 chambers for quietness..

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Is it the 2.5 inch inlet/outlet? straight through or offset? thanks
Hard to say what might have been installed over the years. You'll have to get under the truck and take some measurements. Pipe size is always the outside diameter of a straight section.

Never heard anyone say Flowmaster 50s were quiet, but I guess that's a relative term.:)

Some muffler companies have website with sound clips of various mufflers. Here's an example:

http://www.dynomax.com/sounds-of-dynomax/

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Never heard anyone say Flowmaster 50s were quiet,
Had them on my dually with a crossover, tailpipes exit behind the rear wheels, you could whisper inside the cab and be heard, barely had a hum to it..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickybobby69