LED under dash lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

86sqrbdy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
Hey all, first post but been lurking for quite a while. Just recently re-aqcuired the first pickup I bought, an 86 swb Silverado. I had sold it to my sister in law around 15 yrs ago when we needed to upgrade mini-me storage space.

Long story short, aside from oil changes and whatnot, the truck hasn't had a thing done to it since I owned it... Literally... I found Black & Mild wrappers, so not even vacuumed .

So to the problem at hand. I have added led bulbs to gauge cluster and dome light, but also want to add some led strips under the dash. Simple enough, but I would like to eliminate headlight "turn-to-the-left" way of turning on interior lights, while also keeping the door jamb switch function.

Was planning adding this switch in order to turn lights on while doors are closed.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D2S6UW8/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_GATrEbTDJA5E0

Has anyone done this and could point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
Pull a wire from the non powered side of a fuse so you will have protection in case of overload. You'll have to decide if you want that wire to be live all the time or only when the key is in the run position. Run that wire to the switch then from the switch to the LED lights. Then the other wire for the LEDs will go to a metal ground. You should not need a relay because the amp draw from LED lights is so small and that switch can handle up to 3 amps. Remember that LEDs must be wired with the correct polarity or they will not come on so pay attention to + and -.
If you want the light of the switch to come on when pressed, which is what I would do, just follow the wiring diagram on the web page.

C10MixMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG10
Engine Size
ZZ4 350
Hey all, first post but been lurking for quite a while. Just recently re-aqcuired the first pickup I bought, an 86 swb Silverado. I had sold it to my sister in law around 15 yrs ago when we needed to upgrade mini-me storage space.

Long story short, aside from oil changes and whatnot, the truck hasn't had a thing done to it since I owned it... Literally... I found Black & Mild wrappers, so not even vacuumed .

So to the problem at hand. I have added led bulbs to gauge cluster and dome light, but also want to add some led strips under the dash. Simple enough, but I would like to eliminate headlight "turn-to-the-left" way of turning on interior lights, while also keeping the door jamb switch function.

Was planning adding this switch in order to turn lights on while doors are closed.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D2S6UW8/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_GATrEbTDJA5E0

Has anyone done this and could point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

to eliminate the "turn-to-the-left" pull wiring harness plug off switch,use a paper clip or similar item to release the tab on the white wire and remove it from the plug. Use that white wire to turn on your lights by running through a switch and to ground.

I found using a led bulb in the original light socket under the dash is pretty bright.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I would use a very short strip. I have some of those that are like 10 foot long if you wrap those things under your dash it will be daylight in your floorboard. WAY to bright unless your looking for dropped coins or something in the floorboard.

86sqrbdy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
Thanks for the advice guys.. But I'll go ahead and make my confession first. DIDN'T KNOW there was the light between ashtray and glovebox... ‍smdh

I just soldered in the led strips to the wires for that bulb/socket. As well as ditched the idea of using a separate button. I had swapped my dome light to an led, and it had a sort of flicker to it, and was afraid the switch was the problem, but it turns out the led was not dimmable.

Anyhow, IT IS a lot of light, but that's what I wanted. I put about a 1ft strip under both driver and passenger side.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef