Just finished a in tank fuel pump replacement job, not the easiest job to do by yourself

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roguewave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bobert
Truck Year
Truck Model
4X4
Engine Size
I’ve done the ol drop the tank way a few years back, I have a lift now and I ain’t afraid to use it :boti:

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

newbie17

Reaction score
First Name
bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30
Engine Size
5.7 tbi
I love it!!! Pulling bed is the best way to do tank work, in my opinion.
Dropping the tank method is good if you have 16 gal. tanks, but 20 gal.
tanks-my arm is not long enough to reach the hoses. I just finished installing
new pumps/sending units in both of my tanks(20 gal.). I pulled the bed, pushed
the truck forward 3ft. and set it down on the frame. I wanted to change the
fuel hoses on the R/H tank(they are 34 yrs old) but they are molded in a "S" shape and no longer available.
Just as well, I re-routed the (3) lines using hi-quality fuel injection hose. I left enough
slack so next time I can let the tank down enough to access the hoses. I tested both sides
for leaks and correct quantity indication, good-to-go. I ran the L/H tank down to 1/4 tank.
Stopped at the gas station to fill the R/H tank. When I unscrewed the cap there was a lot
of pressure! Went home and started troubleshooting. I started at the charcoal canister
and worked my way back to the "T" fitting by the selector valve. I isolated the left and right
tank vent lines. The line to the right sending unit was plugged. Well, I was not going to pull the
bed again, so I disconnected the (3) hoses at the selector valve and dropped the tank. I removed the new sending unit and tested the vent valve attached to the underside of the sender-plugged!! Made of plastic and has a lot of parts. Unit was made in China-crap. Removed junk vent and installed the valve from my original GM sending unit. Now all is good!!!!! The left tank is going to take some serious thought about how to drop the tank to get to the lines. I have to figure out how to get enough slack in the hoses without kinking them when the tank is in position. Any whoooo- Really like your lift method. BTW-mine is a 1987 Standard cab also.
Thanks for sharing the pics.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84