Intro and apologizing in advance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

agreiner

Reaction score
First Name
Al
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Hi! Al, from Altoona, PA here. I finally got the go-ahead from my mom to fix up my dad's old truck. It's been sitting in the woods for about 10 years now, and hasn't run in two. It is an '87 v20, with 350 TBI. I tried to crank it up today, with a used Optima Yellow Top I picked up cheap at work (yes, it is fully charged and tests good.) Engine cranks, but...

Looks like there is some damage to some wiring due to rodents. The rodents were apparently cleared out by the snake whose skin I found when I opened the hood. At this point, I don't seem to have fuel pulsing like I should nor do I seem to have spark, as starting fluid does nothing.

I stumbled on this forum while researching wiring diagrams for the ignition system. Once I get it to start, I will be able to move it to a slightly better work area, as it is sitting in waist-high weeds right now. Unfortunately, no garage to work in, and no power to plug into, so no power tools or air compressor.

As for the apology, I'm sorry if it seems like I ask questions which have been asked before. This is, apparently, a pretty uncommon truck, and I don't want to mess it up any more than it already is.

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
:welcome:

Paladin

"Teufelshunde"
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Silverado Crew Cab Dually
Engine Size
Welcome from the Great State of TEXAS!!!:cheers:

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I’d check for spark just to be safe, especially because it could be a weak spark, but it’s a safe assumption that you’re not getting either. A rat could have chewed a critical wire, but it could also be issues such as a bad ignition module, bad pickup coil, or bad distributor assembly. If any, more than likely the former since that has a hand in both spark and injector pulse. You can remove it and take it to Autozone to have it tested for free. If your SES light self-tests when you first turn the key, that’s a very promising sign. No need to apologize, though. It happens. It’s happened to me. They seem to love spark plug wires above anything else. Also check ground straps. Finally, they got my distributor 12V, but that’s a much easier target on a carbed vehicle. If you have any specific wiring questions, feel free to post them up with pictures, and we’ll try to see if we can knock it out.

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
:welcome:

agreiner

Reaction score
First Name
Al
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
I’d check for spark just to be safe, especially because it could be a weak spark, but it’s a safe assumption that you’re not getting either. A rat could have chewed a critical wire, but it could also be issues such as a bad ignition module, bad pickup coil, or bad distributor assembly. If any, more than likely the former since that has a hand in both spark and injector pulse. You can remove it and take it to Autozone to have it tested for free. If your SES light self-tests when you first turn the key, that’s a very promising sign. No need to apologize, though. It happens. It’s happened to me. They seem to love spark plug wires above anything else. Also check ground straps. Finally, they got my distributor 12V, but that’s a much easier target on a carbed vehicle. If you have any specific wiring questions, feel free to post them up with pictures, and we’ll try to see if we can knock it out.

Oh, there will be pics. In fact, I will take some tomorrow after work (I picked up a second job at Autozone for the winter, and stayed a bit longer than I wanted). Now that I know one of the disconnected wires goes to the ignition module, that seems a likely culprit.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Yeah, that’s the first one I’d like to see.

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle.

donnieray

Talks to dogs and trucks.
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Truck Year
Truck Model
86 C10, 84 K10 MM7 NP833 option truck, 85 K10.
Engine Size
350,355;350.
Welcome and good luck. The members here are very helpful.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Welcome to the site. Nice to see another PA member!

agreiner

Reaction score
First Name
Al
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
What part of pa?

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads