Install door glass in sash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DGDamato

Reaction score
First Name
Dominic
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
Last summer I removed my power windows and converted them to manual (and replaced all the rubbers while I was at it). I ran into an issue with the door channel's weld popping loose - I've fixed that with a rivet but with my new rubbers, the glass pulled out of the sash when I rolled the window down. Any of you know a better way to seat the glass in the sash instead of using the thin rubber piece that forms a u-channel? Hate to say that the seal is too tight (insert obvious comments here...) I've looked online and can't find any videos or how-to's on this - there are some but they don't cover the glass/sash install. Maybe a Urethane Adhesive? I am concerned that if I glue it in, I don't have the right spacing left and right.

Also, It was a pain to get the rollers into the sash with the rubbers and vent window in. I see some folks take out the vent window to re-install the glass...is this what I should do once I set the glass so I can install the glass and sash in one piece?

I have no AC and driving around with the door panel off isn't something I want to do for too long. Thanks in advance for any tips in this 90+ heat!

FireTruck1984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
1984 and 1984
Truck Model
High Sierra K1500 350. Sierra Classic C1500 305.
Engine Size
350, 305
Last summer I removed my power windows and converted them to manual (and replaced all the rubbers while I was at it). I ran into an issue with the door channel's weld popping loose - I've fixed that with a rivet but with my new rubbers, the glass pulled out of the sash when I rolled the window down. Any of you know a better way to seat the glass in the sash instead of using the thin rubber piece that forms a u-channel? Hate to say that the seal is too tight (insert obvious comments here...) I've looked online and can't find any videos or how-to's on this - there are some but they don't cover the glass/sash install. Maybe a Urethane Adhesive? I am concerned that if I glue it in, I don't have the right spacing left and right.

Also, It was a pain to get the rollers into the sash with the rubbers and vent window in. I see some folks take out the vent window to re-install the glass...is this what I should do once I set the glass so I can install the glass and sash in one piece?

I have no AC and driving around with the door panel off isn't something I want to do for too long. Thanks in advance for any tips in this 90+ heat!
LMC Truck and Kevin Tetz have a fairly informative video on YouTube showing this install.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
3M Window Weld

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
If you take out the vent window first, it’s relatively easy to slide the door glass up and out. However, you have to to slide the glass back and forth to get it to to release from the channel on the regulator, and that takes some finesse.

The channel on the regulator has a short cutout on the side, and you
slide the glass forward until the roller mounted on the glass lines up with the slot so you can pop it out or into the track. If you don’t pull the vent window you can’t slide the glass forward enough to get the roller out through the cutout.

I had more trouble getting the window back in because once you line it up you have no leverage to push the roller outward and back into the track. That’s where the finesse comes in.

Bruce

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128