I need help with gauge wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kenneth1669

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kenneth
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I FIGURED IT OUT. I figured it out the lights now work but I don’t know how to delete this.

I am 16 working on my first truck and my gauge lights don’t work. I think I found my problem but I’m not 100% sure and thought someone could help me with it.

I have a couple ideas on what it is.
1. I found the ground for the cluster lights I think and it looks corroded but I saw somewhere that grounds are sometimes coated with stuff and so I am not sure

2. There is a wire that has been cut and I think it’s the gray 8b wire on my wiring diagram and it goes into splice 8 and from there it goes to my window washer bulb. It also goes out from the splice 8 into the big connector for the cluster power I think.

3. At the place where I think splice 8 is there is some really old electrical tape that is very brittle and sticky and I was yanking on the tape trying to take it off and found that the splice was under that and I have no idea if that broke anything, but could that sticky crap screwing up that cable?

I also found taht the clock ground wasn’t in and so I grounded it and the bulb at the very top left of the cluster lit up. But nothing else.

I hope I am giving enough detail in all this but it would be very appreciated if anyone could help.

First image is the ground, second is the splice 8, 3rd is the cut gray 8b wire

Last edited:

smullen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I6
Welcome to the site.
A couple of points here.

You posted, you figured it out.
What was the exact issue and solution???

You posted, you don't know how to delete this, well, you don't. :)

Its kinda like a living document or a Knowledge Base.
You post a message sharing something or asking something, others reply, either asking for more info about the thing you shared or asking more about the topic , then they post something to hopefully help you with whatever you asked about.

Then others (even years later) can come along, looking for info on the same thing and its there for them. Problem is, sometimes it get buried pretty deep.

I looked at this thread for 2 reason. 1. I'm having trouble with my dash lights too and 2. It showed up on the query for new posts since my last visit.

I like to wire stuff up, especially Computers, Networks, Car Audio, home autio/theaters, linear actuators and gadgets like that, but I absolutely hate, working on someone else's wiring, or searching for a problem with factory wiring gone bad with age or hacked up by someone..

kenneth1669

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kenneth
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So I am not really sure what fixed it. I changed out the bulbs with LEDs and took out that big wire clip thingy in the middle of the dash and put it back in and turned the power on and it worked. I did take the ground off and put it back in and put new electrical tape on the wires. My grandpa has been helping me with this says it may of just needed to be taken apart and out back it to restart everything. I have no idea though.

I also love wiring stuff up. I built my own computer a couple years ago and have always loved tinkering with things and this truck is my first big thing to tinker with. And thanks for the little rundown of the site I just found it when I was trying to figure out possible reasons on why my lights weren’t working and found this neat little website.

Last edited:

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
If you want to make consistent money with automotive repairs, continue down the path of understanding the wiring, especially when you get to cars that have computers.

There are many great mechanics who can fix anything except a wiring problem. It usually requires only patience and good logical troubleshooting skills, but you will find many posts where the OP plans to rip out an entire wiring loom to fix a simple problem.

Reading wiring diagrams also seems to be a tough skill for most mechanics. The documents on this site include complete wiring diagrams for every year of squarebody truck, but you still see frequent posts where someone can’t figure out how to read them and resolve a problem.

Nuckollsr

Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
4.3L
I will echo that suggestion. Wiring diagrams are the 'road maps' for the movement of electrical energy from point A to point B. I'm an electrical engineer with 50+ years experience. Nonetheless, folks I would sincerely like to help are often disappointed when I ask, "do you have the wiring diagrams/schematics, etc". No amount of experience prevents one from being 'lost in the middle of nowhere' without the road map. Electrics are really quite simple when broken down to their individual components. Just as a recipe tells you how to craft a culinary masterpiece in the kitchen with simple eggs, flour, etc . . . wiring diagrams are the recipe for success when herding electrons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL