I need help GM family

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

91v2500

Reaction score
First Name
Korey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
How’s everyone doing? I have an automatic 1991 GMC Suburban V2500 5.7, heres the symptoms that I’m having. My truck is hard to start I hard to crank it at least twice with hold the key at least 10 seconds on the first crank then the second it’s a normal turn then it starts, but when it starts it shut right off unless I put my foot on the gas for about a minute. The truck then starts sounding like it’s dying out like it’s trying to find the right idle then it will smooth out after maybe 5 minute. After that it start surging up and down for about 1-2 minute then it’s smooth until I go try to pull off. I have no take off speed and it sounds like it’s in high gear and that’s on every stop and go. Now today I drove to the store on the way back it shut off on and it started right back up. I got closer home it started sound like it was try to shut off then it died. It was hard to start and when I got it start and went to pull off it shut right off, it did that about 5 times when I pressed on the gas it started jerking hard and while it was in park I was revving the engine to keep it running it wasn’t responding. After a few times with that it started up the right way and I was able to drive it back home.

here’s a list of parts the were just replaced
spark plugs
wires
distributor cap
rotor button
ignition coil
Throttle position sensor
egr valve
egr valve solenoid
map sensor
idle control sensor
both temperature sensor
transmission speed sensor
oil
oil and air filter
new coolant
thermostat

Corvette Ed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eli
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Have you replaced the fuel filter,checked fuel pressure/pump?

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Check your fuel pressure. Then look down into the throttle body and see if you are getting a clean spray of fuel. I'd bet either fuel pressure is low(bad pump, blown hose on sending unit in tank, bad FPR) or you have clogged injectors.

Have you checked for vacuum leaks too?

91v2500

Reaction score
First Name
Korey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
i haven’t changed the fuel filter yet I have it though along with the O2 sensor

91v2500

Reaction score
First Name
Korey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I have a nice flow coming through the injectors

Grumpy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I would follow Bextreme with the vacuum leaks.
Vacuum lines will turn to spaghetti after ten years, let alone thirty.
Check the vacuum distributor on the thermostat housing, those are notorious for cracks.
Use WD40 when checking or a small propane torch (as you would use for brazing water pipes) with no flame - just the gas.

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
did you have the issue before or after you replaced all the parts? were the replacement parts all quality parts? are there any codes being thrown?? do you have a scan tool or aldldroid and a Bluetooth reader to easily see what the sensors are doing? are you sure the timing is good and the plug wires are good and in the right order? did you relearn the IAC? I second to spray around with carb cleaner or something to check for vac leaks around different hoses and the throttle body area.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
did you have the issue before or after you replaced all the parts? were the replacement parts all quality parts? are there any codes being thrown?? do you have a scan tool or aldldroid and a Bluetooth reader to easily see what the sensors are doing? are you sure the timing is good and the plug wires are good and in the right order? did you relearn the IAC? I second to spray around with carb cleaner or something to check for vac leaks around different hoses and the throttle body area.
This^^^ Did you replace that pile of parts attempting to correct the problem or problem started after replacing parts?

Did the pins inside any of the connectors break off or bend when replacing the sensors, also its not uncommon for wires to break right where the pins are crimped inside the plastic harness connectors.

Did you save the take off parts? May be able to swap one at a time back to the old ones to see if any of the new stuff is garbage.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pete08