I am screwed!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fallguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K10
Engine Size
90 degrees, AC runnin, CC on...drove 25 miles...truck looses all power and dies!

New GM Goodwrench 350. 290hp, 2 years old.

Temp gauge is in the red suddenly....let it cool down...won't start....tow back to town.

Next day they get it to start, no oil pressure and intermittent spark...can't keep it runnin...

WTF!?!

I swear its practically a new truck with all the new parts!! New motor, new accel distributor, new water pump, new plugs/wires, new AC pump, new
re-man alternator, new battery....this is gettin to be dang ridiculous....the GM dealerships bills gona kill me!!

HELP!!!

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
90 degrees, AC runnin, CC on...drove 25 miles...truck looses all power and dies!

New GM Goodwrench 350. 290hp, 2 years old.

Temp gauge is in the red suddenly....let it cool down...won't start....tow back to town.

Next day they get it to start, no oil pressure and intermittent spark...can't keep it runnin...

WTF!?!

I swear its practically a new truck with all the new parts!! New motor, new accel distributor, new water pump, new plugs/wires, new AC pump, new
re-man alternator, new battery....this is gettin to be dang ridiculous....the GM dealerships bills gona kill me!!

HELP!!!
No oil pressure and intermittent spark....I would be looking at the distributor and oil pump shaft area.It is also possible, that the oil pickup tube is cracked, sucking air, and there is a oil pressure switch interrupting the coil power.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
No oil pressure and intermittent spark....I would be looking at the distributor and oil pump shaft area.It is also possible, that the oil pickup tube is cracked, sucking air, and there is a oil pressure switch interrupting the coil power.

I'm going to go with broken dizzy gear on the bottom of the dizzy. The intermitent spark makes me think either the gear of dizzy shaft, and being the the dizzy drives the oil pump shaft, it's not being driven to make pressure.

If the motor survived the overheat OK, then I'd feel confident you can get this issue fixed without pulling the motor.

Pull the dizzy out. Inspect it. Then, get a long standard screwdriver, cut the handle off and chuck it up in your cordless drill and get down the hole and spin the pump shaft with the drill and have someone watch the oil pressure gauge. Cross your fingers and hope you see pressure. You need to do this anyway, and get some lube thru that motor, since it's been cranked on repeatadly I'm sure without oil pressure.

I say, a good chance you're not screwed. Cross your fingers, the motor is going to be OK. I'd be more concerned of the overheat, than I would the no oil pressure intermittent spark issue. Hope for no cracked heads or blown head gasket.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

HELP!!!

A good repair shop would probably fix this cheaper than the GM Stealership. However, now that's it's there, may as well leave it. Did GM install that motor? Would it be under warranty? Maybe not, cuz they're going to blame that Accel dizzy.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Another option that should provide a better overall picture of the associated parts. Drop the oil pan. It's quick - just 18 little bolts. You'll be able to see:

Whether or not there are metal particulates (or coolant) in the oil

The condition of the oil pump pick-up tube and fit to the pump
Screen to sump floor clearance
You can inspect the distributor to pump drive shaft coupling (not shown - it would be where the yellow rectangle is). The rebuilds always come with a plastic coupling. I don't trust them - and always find a metal one.

You must be registered for see images attach

Pull the oil pump and use a big screwdriver on the lower end of the distributor shaft to check for a stripped distributor to cam gear ( if you can't turn the shaft the gear is probably good). That is just a preliminary test - be sure to pull the distributor and look closely at the gear teeth and pin. Also look at the tang at the end of the distributor shaft - it is up inside the geaqr. Make sure it is attached. I'm with HRPC on this one; a stripped distributor gear (or a sheared off pin) would cause both of the symptoms you list.

1. An intermittent spark because the dist/rotor are not being driven all the time by the cam gear - maybe just catching now and then. Producing a sporadic spark.

2. Loss of oil pressure because the lower half of the dist shaft is not driving the oil pump.

At the forward end there is enough of a gap to allow you to check the condition of the timing chain:

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Oh ****! :popcorn:

This is the first time I heard of a dist gear coming loose?

Posted From Hell

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Oh ****! :popcorn:

This is the first time I heard of a dist gear coming loose?

Posted From Hell

Much more common in high performance motors, but it does happen in stockers too. And this being an aftermarket Accel dizzy... They're not perfect either. Sometimes guys also think they need a bronze dizzy gear and will swap them out and then don't get the pin in quite right and it can lose the pin that holds the gear on the shaft. Not an everyday occurance but it certainly does happen. The OEM dizzy I took out of the C20 454 motor, it had a broken tooth on the dizzy gear. Was working ok as far as that went. But, the dizzy gear can fail in a # of different ways.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
No ****? It was never even a thought in my mind about that. Good to know. See, I learnt sumptin today. :)

Posted From Hell

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
If it was a dizzy meant for roller cam, it may have chewed the drive teeth on the cam.

fallguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K10
Engine Size
Simple answer...Gremlins!

No oil pressure = defunct oil pressure sending unit

Over heating = defunct fan clutch

Intermittent spark = starter wire that connects to main harness laying on exhaust manifold and melted through

All At The Same Time.

Cost to fix all, test drive twice, ensure motor is still strong and without any additional issues....by a Chevy garage...$645!!!

The only plus other than GM certified piece of mind? When the Service Manager says, "We rarely have a vehicle around here the guys all fight to test drive!"

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Wow !!! Six Fuggin Hundred and Forty Five Dollars??? I buy trucks and drive them home for less than that.

Sounds like my mother. Goes into Big O to get a tail light changed on a Kia, and she needs new wipers, the tire sidewalls are cracked, the serpentine belt should be replaced and may as well do a fuel filter, $1300 later !!! She won't talk to me about her car anymore. She's been a widow for about 10 years. After she told me about her bill at Big O for the 3rd and getting ripped off, I told her, no wonder you can't find a husband, you're a *****. She said EXCUSE ME?!?!?!? I said you just got fugged by 6 guys at Big O in less than hour, that's a ***** !!! :rofl: She says, well that don't make me a *****, I paid them !!! Then I said, well then even worse, you're a **** !!! When the hell you going to stop going into that place??? So we just don't go there anymore.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
No **** !!!!!!! And all at once !!!!!!!!

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Wow !!! Six Fuggin Hundred and Forty Five Dollars??? I buy trucks and drive them home for less than that.

Sounds like my mother. Goes into Big O to get a tail light changed on a Kia, and she needs new wipers, the tire sidewalls are cracked, the serpentine belt should be replaced and may as well do a fuel filter, $1300 later !!! She won't talk to me about her car anymore. She's been a widow for about 10 years. After she told me about her bill at Big O for the 3rd and getting ripped off, I told her, no wonder you can't find a husband, you're a *****. She said EXCUSE ME?!?!?!? I said you just got fugged by 6 guys at Big O in less than hour, that's a ***** !!! :rofl: She says, well that don't make me a *****, I paid them !!! Then I said, well then even worse, you're a **** !!! When the hell you going to stop going into that place??? So we just don't go there anymore.
:happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175:My Mom is 95 years old and I think She`d still knock Me on My ass for less. :chair::bowroflwerd6::signs8:

WVscottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale K10
Engine Size
350 bored .040 over
All at once sounds like something that would happen to me. 600 bucks that's why I work on my own stuff

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xXmutantXx