I’m in love - here’s the truck I’m dating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Welcome to GMSB! I'd offer $2500.

tophat36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jessica
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
350-4 V8
Price seems good if there are no hidden problems. Problems you noted are fairly typical, and unlikely to be difficult to fix if you are handy with repairs. However, I assume the engine and transmission are still also working well, since that would be an expensive fix.

Cheapest fix for tires is to pick up four 16” 8 lug rims from the junkyard. I got mine for my K25 for about $25 each, and I pulled them off Chevy/GMC trucks to make sure they fit and were the same width and offset. I then bought 245/75R16E tires, which are the right diameter/height (about 31”) and load rating for a stock camper special. Up to 33” tires will fit, but larger tires will throw the speedometer off.

The truck probably has a 14 bolt FF axle (good), but with a 4.10 ratio and no overdrive transmission. Not so good for gas mileage.
Engine and transmission seem to be fine as it runs and shifts well. Swapping out the rims had occurred to me and is probably what I’ll end up doing assuming I can find them at a local junkyard. I appreciate you giving me an actual tire size. It’s been hard to price out tires not really knowing what size. Truck does have the 14 bolt axle, but I don’t know if it’s FF or SF(pic). How do I know if I have the 4.10 ratio with no overdrive? I assumed this truck would get less that 10 mpg, what’s typical? Thanks for your input!

You must be registered for see images attach

tophat36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jessica
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
350-4 V8
PS left side cab mounts and door hinges are trashed. And I see some extensive body work needed in a couple spots if you’re planning on restoring.
Can you explain to me what body work you are seeing and also how you can tell about the cab mounts? I agree about the door hinges 100%, both doors struggle.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Can you explain to me what body work you are seeing and also how you can tell about the cab mounts? I agree about the door hinges 100%, both doors struggle.
The front left side of the bed is smashed in.
And maybe it’s just the combination of the door sagging and the bottom of the bed bent up, but looking at the trim line from cab to bed, it also looks a little lower on the cab side which is indicative usually of a mount being rusty or since this truck doesn’t look rusty, maybe just old and squished.

For 2500 if you just want a good runner it won’t take much $ to fix up all the little stuff including wheels. Parts aren’t expensive for these trucks in general.
Wheels you can find used 16s pretty cheap. Or even new they are maybe $150/ea.
I don’t think you’d have anywhere near $10k in making it reliable and fixing stuff. That much could get you an engine and trans too.
Look in the glovebox to see if the sticker is there. Will show gear ratio.
And I have a good working tailgate for you if you buy it and need one. It’s maroon but it’s a gmc tailgate ‘79 maybe

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
@tophat36 I think you have the right attitude going into this.

I think (I may be wrong) that a Squircle is an 80/81 year model that has the square nose but instead of the round headlights has the square headlights. You may notice that the headlights on your truck are relatively uncommon for a square body. I love that look, I loved them when they were brand new.

I don't know about where you are located but down here in Swampy Flatlandistan a 1/2 ton is more desirable and costs more. Especially because folks seem to like the short bed versions more and they were not available for the C20. I personally think the truck you are looking at has HUGE potential, I like it.

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
A round eye square that runs, drives, and isn't so rusted that it's one speed bump away from disentagrating is a bargain for only $3500. I've seen far worse trucks go sell for over $4000.

tophat36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jessica
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
350-4 V8
@tophat36 I think you have the right attitude going into this.

I think (I may be wrong) that a Squircle is an 80/81 year model that has the square nose but instead of the round headlights has the square headlights. You may notice that the headlights on your truck are relatively uncommon for a square body. I love that look, I loved them when they were brand new.

I don't know about where you are located but down here in Swampy Flatlandistan a 1/2 ton is more desirable and costs more. Especially because folks seem to like the short bed versions more and they were not available for the C20. I personally think the truck you are looking at has HUGE potential, I like it.
Thanks for the info, that’s a funny name…I like it lol! I’m in Washington state, not sure what people prefer out here but I’ve always preferred a long bed. I’m not a fan of the short bed or when they lower them. I guess I like a truck for it’s ability to truck, haul things and have decent clearance. Makes sense what you’re saying tho, thanks for explaining that and your feedback.

tophat36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jessica
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
350-4 V8
The front left side of the bed is smashed in.
And maybe it’s just the combination of the door sagging and the bottom of the bed bent up, but looking at the trim line from cab to bed, it also looks a little lower on the cab side which is indicative usually of a mount being rusty or since this truck doesn’t look rusty, maybe just old and squished.

For 2500 if you just want a good runner it won’t take much $ to fix up all the little stuff including wheels. Parts aren’t expensive for these trucks in general.
Wheels you can find used 16s pretty cheap. Or even new they are maybe $150/ea.
I don’t think you’d have anywhere near $10k in making it reliable and fixing stuff. That much could get you an engine and trans too.
Look in the glovebox to see if the sticker is there. Will show gear ratio.
And I have a good working tailgate for you if you buy it and need one. It’s maroon but it’s a gmc tailgate ‘79 maybe
I took a look at the driver side cab after you mentioned it, and honestly it’s hard to tell. Like you said, the combo between the door and the dent make it difficult to really tell. That kind of stuff is what I intend to replace. Most of the hoses and anything rubber really is gonna get changed out. I’m glad you think I’ll be able to get her decent for less, I’m pretty picky about the little things so I’m hoping you’re right! I’ll def let you know about the tailgate. What does something like that cost?

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Thanks for the info, that’s a funny name…I like it lol! I’m in Washington state, not sure what people prefer out here but I’ve always preferred a long bed. I’m not a fan of the short bed or when they lower them. I guess I like a truck for it’s ability to truck, haul things and have decent clearance. Makes sense what you’re saying tho, thanks for explaining that and your feedback.

I'm in the same boat. I've never understood the hatred for long beds, there is really no disadvantages to them from a utility perspective. What I find even more bizarre, is the amount of people that go through the trouble of shortening them. Chopping a perfectly solid frame, and bed just to lose two feet in length seems a little extreme to me; but if that's what some folks are into, more power to them. Their wallet, their choice.

Soundmound

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
If you plan to spend between $17,500 and $18,500 all in you could easily buy one that is complete and ready to go. I saw a 79 k20 in near mint condition go no reserve on fleabay for $10,900 a couple weeks ago. I was REALLY tempted to charge it to my PayPal lol.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
How much you spend is related to how much you do.
For a work truck that interior looks pretty nice IMO. If I wasn’t going all in and restoring the truck I’d keep the original interior.
But just maintenance and repair parts, I feel like $3-4k in parts will replace about anything you could want or need to replace including new tires and rims.
Tailgate, if you end up needing it, you can have it for free just have to come get it.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
A round eye square that runs, drives, and isn't so rusted that it's one speed bump away from disentagrating is a bargain for only $3500. I've seen far worse trucks go sell for over $4000.
Squarebodys are about the only things that aren’t totally overpriced out here.
Sure some are, but many for decent prices.

tophat36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jessica
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
350-4 V8
If you plan to spend between $17,500 and $18,500 all in you could easily buy one that is complete and ready to go. I saw a 79 k20 in near mint condition go no reserve on fleabay for $10,900 a couple weeks ago. I was REALLY tempted to charge it to my PayPal lol.
I imagine over lots of time I will spend some money on this truck but buying one already done somewhat defeats the purpose for me. Doing it myself allows me to learn a new type of vehicle to work on and I just enjoy the process. I understand what you’re saying, but I have pretty specific taste and not much I see fits that. Buying expensive things online is scary easy, just gotta click that button…lol!

tophat36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jessica
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
350-4 V8
How much you spend is related to how much you do.
For a work truck that interior looks pretty nice IMO. If I wasn’t going all in and restoring the truck I’d keep the original interior.
But just maintenance and repair parts, I feel like $3-4k in parts will replace about anything you could want or need to replace including new tires and rims.
Tailgate, if you end up needing it, you can have it for free just have to come get it.
For me I want the interior to feel clean, regardless if I will be using it to haul stuff, I still like my cars to be really clean. The door panels are starting to disintegrate and the steering wheel is sticky. So replacing the things that are legit failing will be the goal, not to make it all shiny new. I like the way it smells too much lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey