Howdy from Hutto! '87 R1500 6.0/4L80e

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scottybaccus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scotty
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC R1500
Engine Size
Hi Y'all.

I'm a life long car guy, with a hotrod and custom chassis shop in Pflugerville, Tx, just a few minutes from home in Hutto. Like many of you, I grew up in a Square, and most of my memories had one in the background. My Dad had a '78 Heavy Half, purchased from my uncle's fleet. He bought them three or four at a time for his carpet and flooring company. Another uncle owned a well coring company and had a dozen, or so. Every road trip, camping outing, hunting trip had one involved.
I've done chassis work semi-professionally for 15 years, and decided to open my own place, and leave corporate America behind in December 2012. I've used a 2008 Tahoe for all my towing and hauling since then, but decided it was too much wear on such an expensive truck, and had no love of the payment, either. My '87 GMC Sierra Classic R1500 was acquired specifically to replace the Tahoe as a company truck. It must be just as reliable, capable and also represent my business well.
This is why I decided on a 2000 GM 6.0L and 4L80e. The motor mount adapter plates are my design, as is the trans cross-member. I've also gone way out of my way to make the install look very factory, and integrate well with the original truck. I've kept a stock dash with the Suburban electric speedo cluster, and stock radio. The column shifter is connected with a Lokar kit. I retained the LQ4 A/C compressor and mounting, and will have new hoses made up in a couple of weeks. I'm finishing the cruise wiring this weekend, and it retains the R1500 steering and brakes. I do have a 14 bolt axle with 3.73 and a locker waiting to go in. I used Hooker cast iron manifolds because of the excellent frame clearance and 500 hp flow they provide. I made up custom down tubes with braided flex joints to connect to the stainless Pypes 2.5" dual exhaust that features an X-pipe and Pypes mufflers. This system was installed with a double hump cross-member that I came up with to simplify routing the duals. The driveshaft is a 4" aluminum tube with 1350 joints (there's a 3R to 1350 hybrid at the pinion). It's good to 7900 rpm. The cooling system is comprised of '87 454 HD cooling radiator (2.5" core) with the OE top mount and pads, installed with a fan shroud I came up with for the twin 12" fans out of a '95 F-body. The waterpump was key to making this easy. It's from a 2010 Camaro, and has a driver's side/front outlet. A 2005-2008 Vette top hose is a perfect fit. The lower hose is from the 2000 GM truck. The waterpump install requires moving the idler down between the Alternator and P/S pump with a simple plate bracket, then cutting off the original ear to clear the top outlet of the waterpump. Air gets in via a 4" elbow and tube. I have a cone filter now, but hope to make up a cold air box with a flat panel filter soon. I just lowered the truck with CPP 2.5" modular spindles that accept stock brakes, with 3/4 of one coil cut off, and a Summit shackle & hanger kit. No notch for me. Air bags are planned with the 14 bolt to maximize towing capability.
Anyways, I'm super happy with how it has turned out. I'm now offering the mounts, cross-member and fan shroud for my customers, and got it on the dyno just a couple of days ago for a little transmission calibration and a check-up. With the stock 3.08 gear, it's clicking off just over 20 mpg and cruises our 85 mph toll road with ease.
I couldn't have put all this together without help from forums like this and LS1tech, so I hope to give some back for those heading down the same road. Please feel free to message me here via email, or look up me and my shop on FB and message me there. I'll be hanging around and chime in here and there.

Thanks!

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Welcome to the site! How bout them engine pics

Sent from the dust in front of you!

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
Welcome aboard! I live in Pflugerville, myself. Where is your shop located?

Truck looks killer, and you've basically got the power train I want to put in my 87' as well. Unfortunately, it's in about 1000 pieces right now, so that's a ways off. :D

scottybaccus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scotty
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC R1500
Engine Size
Let me tidy up a few things and I'll share some underhood stuff.

Jake, I'm in the strip center behind HEB at 685 & Pecan. Come see me and I'll help you sort out that mess!

Stewzer55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Stew
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30
Engine Size
350 TBI
:welcome: From Ohio!

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
Let me tidy up a few things and I'll share some underhood stuff.

Jake, I'm in the strip center behind HEB at 685 & Pecan. Come see me and I'll help you sort out that mess!

You're literally two blocks from me, haha. I'm right there in Bohls Place.

scottybaccus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scotty
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC R1500
Engine Size
Thanks, Y'all.

That's great, Jake! We may already have seen each other coming and going. I'll msg you my number.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Several of us make trips to the junkyard (albeit, not as often as we'd like due to family and finances) so if ya ever want to go hit up Wrench-A-Part or LKQ some time, let us know.

scottybaccus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scotty
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC R1500
Engine Size
Will do. I've known the owners at Wrench-a-Part for years. I'm a regular there and at their main yard, Snyder Salvage, in Holland.

I've seen LKQ, but never stopped in. Is it a full service recycler, or just wholesale?

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
The one on S. Congres is self-serve like WAP. Prices are slightly higher though on some things but lower on others. They do have great sales every so often though. I bought a complete square hydro clutch setup for $12 in the last sale.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
:welcome: cool truck!

scottybaccus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scotty
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC R1500
Engine Size
Here's the underhood shots I promised, and a shot showing oil pan ground clearance...

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar