How To Refurbish Your Dashpad

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stewzer55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Stew
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30
Engine Size
350 TBI
Can the dashpads interchange? I have seen speaker pods mounted above the dash on some 73-80 trucks.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
The front of a 81-87. Its shorter from top to bottom on the face side.

bigcountryguy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
I will be definatly trying this on my truck when I get to the interior, maybe I will paint the door panels and trim with the Bed liner too!

tomtom1954

Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scotsdale
Engine Size
This isn't show quality, but I think it turned out great for a daily driver.

You'll probably be starting off with a dash that looks a lot like this.
You must be registered for see images attach

First, take a sharp knife and cut off all the curled up edges along the cracks. Cut back far enough to get into the vinyl that's still somewhat soft and not dried out. Also be sure to remove the vinyl around hairline cracks as that area is already toast and will become a bigger crack later and ruin your beautiful dash.

Then cut all the perforated areas out of the 2 outer speaker locations. We'll fix those areas later.

When you're finished with all that, take it outside and wash and scrub the crap out of it with some good cleaner/degreaser. I think I used Simple Green and a bristled brush.

Then I flipped it over and glued a piece of fiberglass to the underside of where the center speaker use to be using a can of spray adhesive. If you want to keep your center speaker, well uh...too bad. :gr_grin:

Then go to your local hardware store and get a can of Gap & Crack Filler expanding foam. DO NOT buy the Big Gap Filler. It expands WAY too much.

Spread a bunch of newspapers out on your work surface. When you think you have enough, put on a couple more layers. This stuff sticks to everything. Now put on a couple pairs of latex gloves.

Take that nifty can of spray foam and very slowly and carefully fill in all the cracks and holes in your dashpad. Use just enough to barely fill in the cracks as it will expand a bit. If you get too carried away it will expand a lot and the voids will be bigger and more work to fill in.

Hopefully you'll end up with something like this. You can see where I got a little too much in several places.

Let the foam cure over night so you won't run the risk of it being gooey when you cut into it.

Take a fillet knife and carefully cut the foam down level with the dash surface. You should end up with something like this.

For this next part, I forgot to take pictures :hidesbehindsofa: but it should be easy enough to explain without them. You need to cover that foam with something to make it solid like the rest of the dash.

Go back to the hardware store and get some Plastic Weld 2-part epoxy. Read the label and make sure it will bond to vinyl. This is the stuff I got.

Mix some up and let it sit for 30 seconds or so. If you use it right away, it will be too hot and will melt the expanding foam. I suggest practicing this on some scraps of cardboard and the extra blobs of expanding foam that fell on your newspaper first so you can get the hang of how long it takes to "heat up" and then how long you have to work with it before it gets tough. I'll wait here...

Got it? Alright, now that you've got the hang of it, mix up just enough to do a couple square inches at a time. Try and do it all at once and you'll get angry in a hurry. Spread it on as thin and as smooth as you can while still filling in all the holes and completely covering the foam. You don't want any exposed foam when you're done. Let that cure overnight.

Next I used a palm sander and some 300 grit(I think) sandpaper to smooth the epoxyed areas back down level with the vinyl. If you have any low spots you can go mix up some more epoxy and fill them in.

Now that everything is all smooth, take another piece of sandpaper or a scotchbrite pad and scuff up the rest of the dash pad.

Next, go to the auto parts store and get a couple cans of spray-on bedliner. I used Dupli-Color Bed Armor.
You must be registered for see images

First, wipe down the whole dash with alcohol. Then follow the directions on the can and spray the whole dashpad. Don't go too heavy with a single coat or you will get runs in it. I got carried away and got a couple small ones. Let that dry overnight.

I originally intended to stop here, but I didn't like the finish on it. So, I went back to the hardware store(again) and bought a couple cans of Krylon Fusion satin black. This stuff is great because it will bond to darn near anything. They have a large selection of colors so you might be able to find one that matches your interior. Follow the directions on the can and paint right over the bedliner. If all goes well, you'll end up with this.

But wait! What about the outer speaker holes? I must have looked at a thousand different pictures on google trying to find something to use as speaker grilles. In the end, I was going through a box of computer parts and noticed the grille on a spare fan. Aha!

There are a bunch of different styles of fan grilles out there, but I went with the basic black mesh thinking it might look factory to the unknowing observer. 120mm seemed to be the best size. I got mine from these guys:

http://www.coolerguys.com/840556087601.html

Now you just have to line them up, drill a few holes, and bolt them down with some machine screws.

Here's the finished product. You can see where I didn't take enough time to smooth out the epoxy so you can tell where a few of the cracks were. And you can also see one of the runs I got in the bedliner on the flat area above the gauges. I never thought it would turn out this good so I didn't take my time like I should have.

And finally, installed in the truck

And that's it. Feel free to experiment and let me know if you find anything that works better than the stuff I used. Thanks for reading guys!

Great job! Im gonna remember those tips. Thanks.

NOPHO84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
1984 silverado k30
Truck Model
K30 dana 60 corp14 ff
Engine Size
454 sm465 np205
Looks good I did similar but used flexible blck caulking then covered it with a carpet dash cover with spray adhesive then got a billit dash trim on the a/c holes .....anyone that has that trim piece knows what its good for ..wifey loves to ware dresses...

82chevy350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Truck Year
1982, 1976
Truck Model
C10, K10, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
Looks great man! I cheated and just covered mine with camo fabric you buy at wally world! but I screwed up and didn't do a write up haha the guys already jumped on me about it lol.

snowpro90

Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban R20
Engine Size
Nice job man and way to bring that dash back to life again.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Just don't do this......Just don't. Don't do it!

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
^Lmao!! What would possess someone to do that?

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
That's a nice dash pad? The steps are the same whether you have 1 crack or 50.

This obviously won't work if half your dash is rotted away or something...

Here's mine Stroked...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1387650861342.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1387650861342.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 538
  • uploadfromtaptalk1387650887420.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1387650887420.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 506

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Here's mine Stroked...

Ehh.....I think you have a pretty good chance of making that one look good. It'd just take a little longer.

That is pretty bad though. :Grenade:

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
Just don't do this......Just don't. Don't do it!

I know what mines gonna look like XD.

DavieL

Reaction score
First Name
Davie
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
5.3 LS with Holley EFI
That is a great looking dash repair, and thanks for posting, I think I'll try it on mine in the summer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg