How straight are our axles?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@wanderinthru,

I was wondering about that smooth surface at the dial indicator myself, like something is lightly rubbing there in the housing. Something is pushing on it there? Or rubbing on it inside the housing, but what?
Now you've got us all worried!!

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@Craig Nedrow,@Vbb199

I would think the SS axles would be a bit better steel. 1050 is nothing more than mild steel. Probably had some heat put to them to harden them a bit though, at the factory. dead mild steel would be to soft. You couldn't put much torque to them and they'd come out of the housing looking like a noodle. So they would have to have some hardening to them at the factory, wouldn't they?

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
@wanderinthru,

I was wondering about that smooth surface at the dial indicator myself, like something is lightly rubbing there in the housing. Something is pushing on it there? Or rubbing on it inside the housing, but what?
Now you've got us all worried!!

No sir, if your talking about the 3 spots in the center of the axle there is nothing in the axle tube.

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
@Craig Nedrow,@Vbb199

I would think the SS axles would be a bit better steel. 1050 is nothing more than mild steel. Probably had some heat put to them to harden them a bit though, at the factory. dead mild steel would be to soft. You couldn't put much torque to them and they'd come out of the housing looking like a noodle. So they would have to have some hardening to them at the factory, wouldn't they?

1050 can be heat-treated to probably 58-62 RC, hard, takes carbide to cut it, but lacks the nickel which makes it tough. Nickel based steels used to be a bugger to machine forty years ago when we used cemented carbide, but now days they have great inserted carbides, but let me tell you, it squeals like a pig when you turn it.

Strange SS axles are made with 1550, a carbon based nickel steel that can be heattreaded, here is Strange Eng page on it: https://www.strangeengineering.net/product/35-spline-axles.html/

Last edited:

59840Surfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
350 Stroker to 383 with a 400 crank, Crane Cam, Q-Jet, single 3.5" exhaust..
This story sounds familiar. I think these axles are all like this. As far as balance is concerned, perhaps the moment of inertia or rotating inertia is
low enough it doesn't cause issues.
You're right.

How many RPM does an axle run anyway? (aluminum foil hat time)

Moments of energy need higher velocities than 1000 RPM to make any real difference. I don't think the SOP (seat-of-the-pants) would even be able to detect this ULF oscillation.

If you're worried (telling others, not you) just mark the high spot on the lugs so you can always park with that lug up so the sun and gravity can make the metal flow closer to centerline.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@59840Surfer,

Yeah right! Tin foil hat time is right. That's like a used car dealer told me that a tire will have a flat spot on the side sitting on the pavement over night. You bet.

59840Surfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
350 Stroker to 383 with a 400 crank, Crane Cam, Q-Jet, single 3.5" exhaust..
@RaiderL ...

I bet you're too young to remember nylon cord tires ... huh?

They would get flat on the bottom overnight and need several miles of driving to warm them up enough to make them go round again.

Reactions: WFO

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'm not a lathe expert so it was just a guess. It seemed logical.

We're not building watches so I'd still be curious as to what it did though. Not like every day someone has an axle in a dialed in lathe with a mic on it. Maybe a 'hold my beer' moment?

:hat:

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
We're not building watches so I'd still be curious as to what it did though. Not like every day someone has an axle in a dialed in lathe with a mic on it. Maybe a 'hold my beer' moment?

:hat:
What is it your curious about? The first axle shaft was turned, fit and welded shorter. It looked like a banana in there. Just ran it slow and got it turned.