How much does a Stepside bed weigh?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
That's how I took mine off, used the cherry picker to take off the cab too, lol..

Do you happen to have any pics of where you attached the straps to the cab when you lifted it? Gonna need to pull mine soon, and can't quite picture where the center of balance would be.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Do you happen to have any pics of where you attached the straps to the cab when you lifted it? Gonna need to pull mine soon, and can't quite picture where the center of balance would be.
Sorry bout the ****** pic but only one I got, no straps I just used a couple 2X4's it is crude and had to be real careful but it worked good, I since made one that is way more stable, I can dig it out and take a pic if you're interested...

You must be registered for see images attach

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Sorry bout the ****** pic but only one I got, no straps I just used a couple 2X4's it is crude and had to be real careful but it worked good, I since made one that is way more stable, I can dig it out and take a pic if you're interested...

Interesting. Never thought about lifting it that way. Not sure it would work too well for mine though. The factory height of my rockers is about knee high. I think I'm going to need to grab it as close to the floorboards as possible, to be able to lift it clear of the frame.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Interesting. Never thought about lifting it that way. Not sure it would work too well for mine though. The factory height of my rockers is about knee high. I think I'm going to need to grab it as close to the floorboards as possible, to be able to lift it clear of the frame.
Like in the pic no you couldn't, but the way I built the other one you could because it bolts on to the end of the boom and all you'd need is longer guides at the back, I'll dig it out and take a pic...

Ok, here it is, center bolts to the end of the boom and swivels, to go way up with the boom all you'd need to do is make longer guides at the back and the cab will lift up level...

Last edited:

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Like in the pic no you couldn't, but the way I built the other one you could because it bolts on to the end of the boom and all you'd need is longer guides at the back, I'll dig it out and take a pic...

Ok, here it is, center bolts to the end of the boom and swivels, to go way up with the boom all you'd need to do is make longer guides at the back and the cab will lift up level...

That's a pretty slick idea. No sway or balance issues from straps, just direct contact with the boom. Extra bonus, it doesn't take up a shitload of room to store when not in use.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
That's a pretty slick idea. No sway or balance issues from straps, just direct contact with the boom. Extra bonus, it doesn't take up a shitload of room to store when not in use.
Thanks, can't take credit for it though, saw one similar on the net and gave me an idea to make one, lol, yeah it's sturdy no swaying or anything, lift it just behind where the roof starts to curve down and lifts straight up, when I'm done I just stick it in the corner somewhere out of the way and forget about it..

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Hey, that's pretty slick!

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Two people should be able to do it but be sure to eat your Wheaties.

Well it wasn't too bad. Two of us got it off the truck and stood it on end on the tailgate, backed the trailer up to it, and laid it over on the trailer. Luckily it was a 2WD, so it sat pretty low. Definatly a lot lighter than the long bed flareside I took off my 80.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshs74nova