How hot should my front hubs get

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
So after doing ball joints and tie rod ends, and putting everything back together, I quickly found out that the front spindle nuts were too tight after a short drive. The front hubs were too hot to touch. Like, so hot you wouldn’t be able to put your hand on the hub to engage 4x4. I took them apart and backed the nuts off to were I think they should be. My hubs are still hot after a a 10 mile trip at about 50 mph, but it’s only the part behind the dial. The actual dial and chrome cap behind it are fine. And the body of the hub isn’t so hot that you can’t touch it. I can put my hand on it and leave it, although it’s not the most comfortable thing ever. So am I good to go, or are they still running too hot? I understand that brake drag and ambient temps also play a part here.

Last edited:

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
My thoughts are too much friction.
I don't recall my hubs ever getting that hot, and I don't think ambient temperature would have a huge effect.
I am guessing the wheel bearings are well packed with fresh grease after a complete cleaning ?
Over tight wheel bearings as well as insufficient lubrication will definitely cause heat issues.
I would look at that first.
If anything else comes to mind, I will post it.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Mine can get decently hot, especially this time of year.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I should note that I can jack each side up, spin the wheel, and the only drag seems to come from the brakes. With the caliper removed, the wheels spin pretty freely

Madhorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.3/NV4500/NP205/4:56 gear/35in tires
Funny you ask this question. I just rebuilt the Dana 44 under my 77k and was wondering the same thing. I have been checking my hub temps with IR thermometer. Mine are reading around 110 to 115 degrees on a 90 degree day. I am guessing that is acceptable.

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Never preload wheel bearings,a little looseness is better than overtight.Always works for me...for 40 years anyway

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I know this is a few days old now, but A couple things for you if you are still working on this. #1. Wheel bearings shouldn't be to tight, my method is much easier to show someone than to explain, but basically a couple degrees, maybe 10 of turn after finger tight. If your not sure your better off a little loose. #2. If you are driving it hard enough you can transfer heat from the brakes unto the hubs, so be aware of that.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
I am curious about this too as mine can get warm enough to be uncomfortable to keep your hand on, and the lug nuts get really hot.

LOL - so do the drums when you do the finger test thru the ralley slots !

:eek:

But, I followed the factory instructions when I lubed and set the front bearings, and packed the bearings by hand 2 or 3 years ago and the wheels are still on , so hopefully that means I did not screw anything up too bad.

:D

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
So far so good - but I wouldn't hold your breath!

LOL- I have some bad luck, but hopefully not going to follow your "Bonnie Blues" with "Whoops, there go Goldies Shoes !"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uberbeans