How Fast Can A Squarebody Go?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
I got my 90 burb, 5.7 tbi, 700r4, 3.08, stock gear about 120 mph in a street race with a Dodge Dakota.

Never been faster in a squarebody

(I had a GPS app on my phone because speedo liked to occasionally work)

No lie. Lol, swear to God. It was on a straight 4 lane we got out here.

That son of a bitch felt like it was either gonna fly away, or fall apart.
When a guy starts a story with “I **** you not” I’m instantly dubious. Are you sure it wasn’t closer to 85?

Edit: I guess you didn’t lead with the that so I’ll buy it. This time.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
When a guy starts a story with “I **** you not” I’m instantly dubious. Are you sure it wasn’t closer to 85?

Edit: I guess you didn’t lead with the that so I’ll buy it. This time.

It's alright if nobody believes me lol, I know I did, and looking back now, that was incredibly stupid.
As stupid as taking my s10 blazer over 100 on hwy 70. That thing REALLY WAS a death trap.

The suburbans steering got extremely loose, so I kept a straight wheel. Suspension was fairly sound mechanically, but those speeds aren't meant for a old truck.

The s10 had all sorts of front end issues, along with loose steering at low speeds, it really did feel like a death trap.

Suffice it say... Or mark it up as....
Wreckless and wild.
I don't care how big the truck, how old, I'll go fast.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Do you have an SM420 installed in your square. I believe the last year GM installed them was 1968

Who me? Nope. THM400 with a Gear Vendors OD.

I was just asking to try @DoubleDingo's numbers in the calculator.

Paladin

"Teufelshunde"
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Silverado Crew Cab Dually
Engine Size
All depends how big your balls are! Have had my dually pegged out, 100 MPH speedo, and climbing without breaking a sweat until good sense took over and I backed out of it! Was starting to feel a bit unstable and floaty tho.:cheers:

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Who me? Nope. THM400 with a Gear Vendors OD.

I was just asking to try @DoubleDingo's numbers in the calculator.

When I got that old truck it 4.57 geared. While I lived with my brother I was able to find a 3.54 rear end. After I moved back to my hometown I replaced the ball joints, control arm bushings, converted to power steering, added a front sway bar, and I tell you what that truck handled great. On dirt roads I could drive pretty much as fast I wanted to and slide around turns it had great steering response and minimal body lean with that sway bar on there. It was a blast to drive.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Seems I'm one of the few on this forum that owns a 87-91 2wd burb that runs right and Is daily driven

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
I've had mine damn near 120, I think the 700r4 helps. Was pretty ridiculous at those speeds though.

I remember posting about this last year, don't want to re-tell an old story:
3 or 4 years ago driving through Iowa on I80 I decided to see what the burb could do down a nice long gradual downhill with no other cars in sight. I held that bitch wide open till I was (dare I say) scared to go any faster despite still having some revs left to go.

I looked at the GPS once I had slowed back down to cruising speed expecting to see some huge crazy number, and saw a whopping 117mph lol. I don't bat an eye at going 140-150 from time to time in the daily, and have reached somewhere in the neighborhood of 180mph on the bike a couple times with nothing more than a slight adrenaline rush, but 117 in a square Suburban damn near made me poop.

Only difference at that time was the tires. Still had the same 3.73 gears and 700R4, but was running 31s instead of 33s.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
It's alright if nobody believes me lol, I know I did, and looking back now, that was incredibly stupid.
As stupid as taking my s10 blazer over 100 on hwy 70. That thing REALLY WAS a death trap.

The suburbans steering got extremely loose, so I kept a straight wheel. Suspension was fairly sound mechanically, but those speeds aren't meant for a old truck.

The s10 had all sorts of front end issues, along with loose steering at low speeds, it really did feel like a death trap.

Suffice it say... Or mark it up as....
Wreckless and wild.
I don't care how big the truck, how old, I'll go fast.
I know how you feel man. There's not a vehicle I've ever owned that I haven't bothered to find out the top speed. And I've owned some straight up deathtraps.

For most cars first few days of owning them I just gotta know, hell even my wife's car that we just picked up on Sunday I already maxed it out before I had the chance to register it on the way home from the lot. But even if not, sooner or later I go fast for whatever reason. I'm pretty sure the thing that killed my current 350 was maxing the truck out foot to the floor for a good 6 miles or so trying to outrun a thunderstorm. By that point the cooling system wasn't too great and with the 33s and 3.73s it never made it into OD, if my tach wasn't stuck i'd say I was probably at 5k RPMs for 3 minutes straight...

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
I know how you feel man. There's not a vehicle I've ever owned that I haven't bothered to find out the top speed. And I've owned some straight up deathtraps.

For most cars first few days of owning them I just gotta know, hell even my wife's car that we just picked up on Sunday I already maxed it out before I had the chance to register it on the way home from the lot. But even if not, sooner or later I go fast for whatever reason. I'm pretty sure the thing that killed my current 350 was maxing the truck out foot to the floor for a good 6 miles or so trying to outrun a thunderstorm. By that point the cooling system wasn't too great and with the 33s and 3.73s it never made it into OD, if my tach wasn't stuck i'd say I was probably at 5k RPMs for 3 minutes straight...

Yep! Same.
Took the misses equinox for a test drive before buying, I went straight on on hwy 29 and got it over 100 mph to make sure It wouldn't fall apart.

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305

Truth in screen name.:burnout:

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected

I've seen how fast all my vehicles can go- except for my Audi S4. It was a stage 2 with a 6 speed manual. I once got it up to 140 at night on the interstate in Montana. The concrete sections they pour are NOT smooth at that speed. Then I saw a brief flash on eyes on the side of the road. Slowed down after that. Couldn't imagine hitting a deer at those speeds. In theory they said the top speed of it was a little over 170 mph (my APR tune did away with the 155 mph limiter).

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
Going to Bonneville in September again, https://saltflats.com/ been there many times, and love the atmosphere, the cars, highly recommended. A good safe place to go fast. Only raced once on a Kawasaki Concourse, 128.5, bad spark plugs, but it's a memory

You must be registered for see images attach

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
except for my Audi S4
What generation S4? I’ve owned a urS4 and B5 S4. I wish I still had the urS4. One of about 3000 S4s imported in 93. It was a silver 20vt manual gearbox with factory black recaros and carbon fiber trim. Had some neat options for a 1993. All four seats had 6 setting heaters, a push button locker, projector headlights and fog lights as well as some other advanced features for it’s era. It was very smooth well into triple digits. It had various parts and a tune from 2Bennett Audimotive in Davis, Ca.

Not as quick as some other cars I’ve owned, but my favorite I think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87POPS