Hi there.....Got a Geneva Suburban

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by RacingTurtles, Jun 7, 2018.

1. HotRodPC

HotRodPC Administrator Staff Member

First Name:
    HotRod
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Silverado K10 to K20 Conversion
    Engine Size:
    6.2 to Gas???
    This is going to be a tough one buddy. Reason being, you don't know if those mice chewed up some wires somewhere and if so where at? So did you replace the WHOLE DISTRIBUTOR INCLUDING THE EIM? Elecontronic Igntion Module????

So you have the engine cranking right? It just won't start? Let's try this. If you have the engine cranking as in the starter is working, let's do process of elimination. Get about a 4 foot wire closest to 10gu as possible. Unlplug the BATT wire on the distributor cap. Plug in a wire there are take it direct to the battery positive post. This is hot wiring the dizzy so WE KNOW 100% for fact it has power. If it starts, then we know it's a wiring issue between the dizzy and the ignition.

If it still doesn't start, then let's make 100% sure the EIM is good. Either borrow a known good one, or ohms test the one that's in it now. Obviously if it starts with the known good module then we know that was the problem.

If it still doesn't start, then it's safe to assume we have a fuel problem, which could be even wiring to the fuel pump.

78c10bigten likes this.
  2. RacingTurtles

RacingTurtles Junior Member

First Name:
    Apu
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    v1500 Geneva Edition
    Engine Size:
    350 tbi
    Hey guys,
    I ended up buying a new tank, delphi fuel pump assembly, and now im waiting on all new hoses and vapor canister purge valve. It made sense since I cleaned everything up back there and painted it. I'm not planning on dropping the tank anytime soon since its all new so I didnt re use the old stuff.
    The 26 gallons of old gas in there is probably a big reason why it wont start/run. A mechanic friend told me old gas has been a reason for no starts on some of his older cars.

Just for fun I tested the fuel pump connector. It was giving me 8.5 Volts when in just the on position. During starting, it was going to -3 volts. This makes me think its the relay but then again the injectors were spraying. I will update again when I fill it up with new gas and try out the method above.

3. dvdswan

dvdswan Full Access Member

First Name:
    Dave
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K10
    Engine Size:
    Welcome to the site. Looks like a great find.

4. Charlie

Charlie Full Access Member

First Name:
    Don
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Cheyenne 10 LWB
    Engine Size:
    350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
    :welcome:

5. oldman

oldman Full Access Member

First Name:
    Ken
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    silverado 1500
    Engine Size:
    LOL sorry for laughing ,I just went with my son to texas to buy a 87 chevy suburban that has been sitting for 20 years under a car port,it didn,t run 4 flats and critters that chewed wiring under the hood .After getting it home and accessing the damage lots of wiring chewed in half ,even heater hoses were chewed .Repaired the bad wires and thru a battery in it ,it would turn over but no start .Next day we removed the fuel tank and had 20 gallons of varnish WOW that was fun ,sending unit was bad so was pump after all these years rubber just killed the sending unit ,this truck is a one owner truck with all service records and has 80k origional miles inside and out is like brand new ,got it running and runs great for sitting for 20 years ,Ok lets take a ride WRONG ,mice chewed front brake hose thru lol and the saga continues

6. RacingTurtles

RacingTurtles Junior Member

First Name:
    Apu
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    v1500 Geneva Edition
    Engine Size:
    350 tbi
    I appreciate the kind words guys.

Oldman, I'm with you. We just have a different set of problems but keep on chuggin man.

Good news, got her running. It was just the 26-28 gallons of old fuel. Threw in the new fuel tank, fuel pump, fuel filter, and did a quick oil change. Then proceeded to piss off the neighbors at 9:30 at night revvin it like a hoodrat. I did notice that the driver side injector is leaking from the top and I found a NASTY coolant leak. I haven't tried to move it yet. Who knows, could be a bad trans for all I know.

Time for more crap from Rockauto.

So 3 out of 4 of my cars are running. I'm working on the only non running one in my garage right now. I wanna get that going so I can actually move her out of the way and work on other cars when it gets dark out. It really sucks to have to plan things out around daylight hours. Let me go post up some videos after I go poop.