Help with a small coolant leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
$350, what so special about this radiator that makes it worth it? I know they arent cheap I have one from Dewitts for my corvette but one for a truck shouldnt be that expensive.

Just personal preference. They have cheaper ones made by aftermarket companies and I want an OEM radiator. Its also huge, they are about 3 feet tall lol

And to clarify I meant my Cummins truck not my Burb.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Thanks Crispy, I should buy a pressure tester here in the future, and for the price of that kit it'll be WELL worth it. I'm just kind of over pulling my hair out about these things. I got an appointment after work today for the local radiator shop. They said if its something small $50 and I'll be fixed up. I figure if this aftermarket 3 core radiator is shot. I'll end up replacing it with a new 4 core and be done with it. Probably not a full aluminum one but we'll see come pricing time. after thinking about it I am betting there is a pin hole or small crack but near or in the cap neck.

I do have a stock (brass side caps) HUGE radiator that I pulled from my 86 3/4 ton 6.2l C20 before I sold it. But, If I were to put that in here I don't think my coolant would get hot enough for my heater to work. So that'll stay on the shelf until after I do some kind of big block swap.

I'll post back after the appointment.

No problem. I dont think you would have any problem with an oversized radiator except for maybe longer warmup times in the winter and slightly lower temps on open flat road. And as Snoots mentioned, and open thermostat would cause that before an oversized radiator would. Glad you found the problem and more importantly found out who not to do certain types of business with.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I bought a new Champion aluminum radiator from Jegs, since it was quite a bit cheaper than any other aluminum radiator I could find.

I have been surprised how much better it works than the old 3 row brass/copper radiator, expecially when I put a load on it with the A/C. The truck now seems to stay at exactly the same temp, regardless of road speed, A/C on/off, etc.

Bruce

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I had some work done by that same company several years ago and they always took good care of me. But they must have changed ownership of something.
From what I understand the aluminum radiators cool more efficiently but you have to use distilled water or straight 50/50 mix and when they have a problem you basically throw them away and buy another, where as the copper/brass when properly clean and in a well working system cool just fine they are just a bit larger overall and when they have a problem ie. blockage, crack, hole, whatever you used to be able to get them repaired cheaper then buying new. Nowadays I have no idea if that is still cost effective.

I was curious so I asked the local NAPA how much a new one identical to my leaking current radiator (3 core, aluminum with plastic tanks) would cost. Only $120.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Change in ownership, maybe change in landlord. I've seen shops do funny things when a new landlord takes over the building.

I think at this point in time its cheaper to replace unless its a rare unit or a stamped piece from a numbers matching resto. The amount of shops fixing radiators is dwindling and that just means the price for the labor is going up. Dont get me wrong though, I'm a fix it before you replace it guy myself so even if the price of repair was close to a new one I would take the fix. I'm also a sucker for originality (as shown by willingness to pay $300+ for an oem radiator for my Ram).

Chevyguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Clayton
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 Litre
I had some work done by that same company several years ago and they always took good care of me. But they must have changed ownership of something.
From what I understand the aluminum radiators cool more efficiently but you have to use distilled water or straight 50/50 mix and when they have a problem you basically throw them away and buy another, where as the copper/brass when properly clean and in a well working system cool just fine they are just a bit larger overall and when they have a problem ie. blockage, crack, hole, whatever you used to be able to get them repaired cheaper then buying new. Nowadays I have no idea if that is still cost effective.

I was curious so I asked the local NAPA how much a new one identical to my leaking current radiator (3 core, aluminum with plastic tanks) would cost. Only $120.
The aluminum radiators with plastic tanks are known to fail. Either have yours repaired and rodded out, or replace it with an all metal brass radiator.

Clayton

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scawdrey