Hello and help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zac1981c20

Reaction score
First Name
zac
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I appreciate all the support everyone!
I went out and messed around yesterday the truck starts right up every time I don’t even have to pump the gas, it seems to idle quite low to me but I’m not sure what normal is since I’m new to these trucks my choke light is on though and it’s been on. I just put a new oil pressure sending unit on a few days ago and I verified the wiring to be good from the choke to the unit my gauges are all working and the truck runs good enough to get to work and home I plan on checking the timing tomorrow or trying to check. The truck does after fire every now and then under high load around 55-60 it’s usually one or two small ones and I’ve verified my wires to be right I’ve had the diagram with me and triple checked everything I’ve done because I know I’m not perfect and I’m young but anyway the truck has new plugs wires and a new distributor. The trucks not missing or anything to me it just seems like it idles too low and I think I just need to get my tools so I can check the timing properly I’m not quite sure if I’m right and I appreciate all advice and ideas where would that ignition module be and easiest way to test it?

mtbadbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
The ignition module is under the cap. It's flat and kinda shaped like a boomerang with terminals on both ends. Google it and you'll see.

Cyrillious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cyril
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban
Engine Size
Don't forget to check continuity on the wires. I bought a set and half the wires was out of range. Bought another set and checked them and they were okay. I believe the specs are 6-12k on a V8 350

dboydb

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
CK20
Engine Size
Experience tells me that you should start with a compression test. Before chasing other things make sure your foundation is good. After fire! Is it through the carb or out the exhaust? Through the carb usually means a very lean fuel situation and rarely a burned valve. Out the exhaust can mean spark at the wrong time or maybe raw fuel getting into the exhaust and when the mix is right it explodes with a pop out the exhaust. Sounds like you're going to learn from this one.

rusted nuts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
4cly diesel
Welcome from far west Pa.

Mr Clean