HEI distrib problem under load

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
also this is a dumb seeming comment, but KISS is always watching and present..

how are your plugs and wires?

Ive had a bad wire that i presume was internally too resistive from factory and when i Put it on, I had a cutout, miss, but more from the lack of participation of a cylinder rather than improper timing of the combustion, and found my wire , which was new, worked fine at idle but if i gave the throttle some go, it would arc out of the middle of the wire onto my engine hoist hook

ignore the random paint doodles on the engine
earlier this year i was marking fasteners that I suspected were loosening from vibration and the markers and the atmospheric conditions made a perfect scenario in which i think the paint fumes made me a little high because i ended up doing that for an hour and eventually I was like "what the **** am i doing" and got some air. It was a weird day.

ANyway, see the hook, my wire was closer to it and defective, it like melted the wire sleeve at the spot too, weird. See the coil end? You have a cap of course, but the idea is the same. The nub the wire is on needs to be air tight, secured tightly to the nub on the tower, and also clean of corrosion. any corrosion is resistance, any arcing or carbon tracking(ionization from high voltage spark jumping the gap in the closed space, etching carbon into the metal or just slowly zapping away metal) is resistance, any gap is energy spent to cross the small air space instead of conducting through the wire and cap, and that energy is less vroom vroom from engine and it can be a situation where load/rpm it gets worse, but handles idle ok. improperly pulling wires(recommend the pliers) is great at separating the end on the wire so it becomes loose fitting. Use some dieletric grease to seal out 1) moisture 2) air. you want there to be no place for air since its displaced by the grease. which also keeps it easier to remove especially on plugs that are smooth on the porcelain. the ribs are common on our trucks, which btoh can be a bitch to pull off. Also then finally, the plug.

A bad plug doesnt let the zap zap make the vroom vroom.

You must be registered for see images attach

LOL - Homer Simpson voice :

Can ya dumb it down a little , Doc ? :anitoof:

A bad plug doesnt let the zap zap make the vroom vroom.

Gene King

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Got the top off and attached a couple photos. The inside of the rotor is full of this red powder and a bit of metal shavings.
On my advance weights I've got a spot rubbed shiny at the 7 o'clock position.
Any idea what's goin' on here?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Got the top off and attached a couple photos. The inside of the rotor is full of this red powder and a bit of metal shavings.
On my advance weights I've got a spot rubbed shiny at the 7 o'clock position.
Any idea what's goin' on here?

I’m not sure. Do they move freeely amd return nice,
If you kick them out and play with them. Consistent feel. The rust otherwise may nit be a huge worry.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Thanks a lot AuroraGirl I'm about to go out and monkey with it, will reference those photos.
The problem is definitely more severe than just running on 7 cylinders from a bad plug or wire.
It's erratic but sometimes it loses ignition completely for a second, then gas will build up in the exhaust and make a hell of an explosion sound when it does fire again.
I can't get it to do it in the driveway though.
Anyway I'm about to take the top off that distrib and see what I can see
A vast change in fueling could do that too. Fuel line ok?
How’s your coil look

Gene King

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Yeah the weights move around okay. Nothing looks burned or broken visually with the coil.
I looked fuel up and down yesterday, pressure and flow tested pump, put on a different carb. Engine holds steady 20 pounds of vacuum too

Gene King

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
This is an Accel aftermarket distributor, any idea if I can put a standard GM coil and ignition module in it?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
This is an Accel aftermarket distributor, any idea if I can put a standard GM coil and ignition module in it?
I don’t see why it wouldn’t work just would lack the cosmetics of accel but I’ve heard of poor qc on their distributors. Like, you get a great one or it blows and it’s too frequently blows

Gene King

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
I don’t see why it wouldn’t work just would lack the cosmetics of accel but I’ve heard of poor qc on their distributors. Like, you get a great one or it blows and it’s too frequently blows

May try swapping those soon. Not sure what else to try

Last edited:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
May try swapping those soon. Not sure what else to try
All the other things mentioned :( I’m cereal, check those wires. Visually and if adventurous with a multi meter. Or. Here how about this. Are you able to replicate the issue at idle or low speed

Gene King

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
I figured out the problem. The hot wire to the distributor was arcing inside the connector when the motor would try to turn on the motor mounts under load.

Thanks for your guys' help

Gene King

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
New connector, clean the coil pin by taking it out, then a lil dielectric grease on the connector and firmly connect to tab. Fix for another 40

Gene King

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
New connector, clean the coil pin by taking it out, then a lil dielectric grease on the connector and firmly connect to tab. Fix for another 40

Heh I bamboozled you guys a little bit, wasn't actually my square body you were helpin' me fix, attached a photo.

I cut the pig tail off a parts van and butt connector'd it on, should be good.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
The cool part is this all could have equally applied to a 4.3 v6, a 260 Oldsmobile, a 350 Buick, a 400 sbc, a 396 bbc, a 250 i6, an GM style hei distributor for a Ford 289, and your mom I mean your Camaro :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ls85c10man