Half ton with 56" springs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1973 Chevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1970Something
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.9 6BT Cummins
I was seeing if my new leaf springs would match up with my hangers tonight and they didn't really look right. So while i'm waiting for my bolts to arrive I took some smaller ones, popped them in the holes and put the springs on. I researched and had my mind set that all half tons had 52" springs and I swear I remember measuring my old springs, but I guess not. I held my old springs up to the new ones and sure enough there longer. Now my shackles are sitting not normal. Me and my dad thought it out and were thinking that we shouldn't worry about it, it actually might be better, now theres more "room" for the springs to compress. Heres some pictures, so is something that needs to be changed, or just go with it?

This is the rear shackle with just the weight of them frame on them, when you sit on the frame it will go in the middle of being verticle.
You must be registered for see images attach

This is the front shackle with the springs hanging off of it, its hard to tell how far the shackle will go but i'm pretty sure it will go the right way.
You must be registered for see images attach

So is this something that needs to be changed?

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Something dont seem right with those rear springs, what do they measure eye-to-eye? Is your truck long bed or short bed?

1973 Chevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1970Something
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.9 6BT Cummins
Something dont seem right with those rear springs, what do they measure eye-to-eye? Is your truck long bed or short bed?

Wth they measure 48.5" eye to eye and its a long box

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
48.5 is front springs. Makes sense to me now.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yep, I was gonna say, I bet those are front springs you're trying to put on the rear.

56in half ton springs only came on SOME 2wd trucks. 4wd 1/2 ton all got 52inch. The only other model that could be EITHER 56 or 52 was 4wd 3/4 ton.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajiuo666