Grille - before and after

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

one4fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
The grille on my truck was nickle/chrome plated and had seen better days. The chrome was flaking off and the steel bars were starting to rust. I was not looking to make a large investment in cleaning it up, so I opted to do what I could with what I had. After several google searches, a twisted wire wheel cup with no luck and a heavy coat of paint stripper, again with no luck, it was decided that I was not going to safely and effectively remove the remaining chrome from the grille. So, I removed all the loose marerial, sanded it down to the clean metal with 60 grit sand paper, scratched the surface of the remaining chrome as best I could and coated it with self etching primer. Next. I sprayed the front of the grille and the headlight frames silver. After 3 light coats and several hours of drying time, I masked over the face of each bar and the thin edge around the outside of the light frames, then sprayed them with rustoleum hammered black paint. 1 light coat and 2 medium coats later and several more hours of dry time, it's done. New headlight assemblies and I'm ready for the road. (Actually, not quite...still need to get the headlight bulbs).

The before picture was taken last year when I bought the truck, but it shows how it looked before some grooming.

Before:
You must be registered for see images

After:
You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

texnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ronnie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Looks great for a low cost!!!

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Good job

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
Looks bad azz.. Are those H4 upgrade headlights?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djisurfli