grey primer vs black for durability and looks which is better?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oregon78k10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
350 V8
I'm thinking of slapping on a coat of primer on my k10 n was wondering which would hold its color best (until I get a chance to have it painted) n which one looks better..

Last edited:

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
My choice would be grey primer. My 56 was grey primer and it held up pretty good.

BigRuss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Reece
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe C10
Engine Size
305 5.0L
black primer is usually done by people who want a "rat rod" but its whatever you can get your hands on... i had brown primer on my ranger back in highschool and it held up fine

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Use epoxy primer if you want it to last any length of time.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Vote #2 here for the gray, light or dark. I got red, and gray on mine, lol!!! :shitsweak:

If anything a Rustoleum roller paint job will be done on the lower half.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I'd bet that I like your truck better how it is now. There's only a few times I've seen the truck look better when it was done, and if the truck ever gets a real paint job, the cheap primer will all need sanded off.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I have gotten to the point were I use Rustoleum's "Rust Reformer" on any raw steel - oxidized or not. It sets up fairly smooth and has a rugged flat/satin gloss finish that leaves unfinished parts looking real sharp - till you can get around to them.

It is the only Rustoleum product I use - the rest of their stuff is not worth the price of the can it came in.

Here are some shots of the ugly side of a 1 ton I'm rebuilding:

You must be registered for see images attach

You can always go over it with your real primer when it's time to paint.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I like the Charcoal look of the black primer, personally. Check out the before & after thread and look at Irishman99's pics. I love how it turned out. I wouldn't do it though unless you know it'll be more than a year or two before you paint it. Otherwise, I'd just spot primer any rust spots to stop them from spreading. I had one paint guy complain to me about it because that's just one more layer of sanding for him. Seems kinda whinny to me though. I don't see where that would add any additional time or labor for him. So you have to pass over it a second or two longer. Big deal......

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I like the Charcoal look of the black primer, personally. Check out the before & after thread and look at Irishman99's pics. I love how it turned out. I wouldn't do it though unless you know it'll be more than a year or two before you paint it. Otherwise, I'd just spot primer any rust spots to stop them from spreading. I had one paint guy complain to me about it because that's just one more layer of sanding for him. Seems kinda whinny to me though. I don't see where that would add any additional time or labor for him. So you have to pass over it a second or two longer. Big deal......

THanks man!

That was just cheap rattle can rustoleum automotive primer I got from Home depot for around a few bucks a can. It worked great as far as a temporary coating and the best part is it sands off really easy. If you go this route wait until its about 50 degrees outside or it will tiger stripe like no ones business. The stuff drys way to much as you spray it when its decently warm outside.

Oregon78k10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
350 V8
U gotta link? I cant find it

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
The pictures of the after are a little outdated so I will post a couple. Its in my build thread but you probably dont want to read through a zillion pages of nonsense so here is some pics.

Before:

This was the first primer job, I sprayed it during the warmer part of spring and got some tiger stripe.

This was the second attempt at primer, this time I sprayed it when it was alot cooler out and got no tiger stripe.

The primer was to much for Az summer time, I had to change colors so it got a coat of Rustoleum white for now. Its all just temporary.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

His complaint was legit. Spray paint usually clogs up the sandpaper and makes it a real pain in the ass to sand back off. I had a Camaro that a kid had sprayed the entire car with the cheapest gray primer he could find, I would still like to shoot him to this very day. I will never buy a car like that again either.

THanks man!

That was just cheap rattle can rustoleum automotive primer I got from Home depot for around a few bucks a can. It worked great as far as a temporary coating and the best part is it sands off really easy. If you go this route wait until its about 50 degrees outside or it will tiger stripe like no ones business. The stuff drys way to much as you spray it when its decently warm outside.

Yours is one of the few times the truck looks much better with a spray paint job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale Downes