Gas tank shield?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steve-o81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Hi, does anyone know of a company who makes a lighter weight shield for the outside of a gas tank on a 1981 Silverado? I live down a gravel road and my original 110k mile gas tank got a leak from a rock in previous years and I’d like to prevent it from happening again.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
GM put plastic stone shields on mine. No idea if they always did, but it came from the factory with them under both tanks. I don't know if LMC or anybody repops them, or you may have to scour the boneyards.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If you get the replacement plastic guards, see if you can install them with enough clearance to wash out the mud and crud so the tank doesn't rust

For sure, if the truck is going to see any off road.
Only rust in 2 spots on my 86. 1 from a previously installed accessory and the other from having mud packed around 1 gas tank.
I believe I’m going to do a little porting to the OE gas tank guards when I reinstall them to facilitate easy cleaning.

OP, I’d think the factory ones would be relatively plentiful at junk yards or guys who part them out?
Idk what you mean by lighter weight. They only weigh a couple lbs.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
@Grit dog , good idea on the "porting". How?..Drill holes in the bottom or?..I guess anything would be better than just clearancing them?

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Ya I was just thinking a few well placed holes in them 1” or so to make it easy to hose out.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@Grit dog,

My '74 had a guard on it from the factory. It was that hard rubbery kind of plastic. Except it wasn't just in front of the tank, on the pass. side, it curved around the whole front of the tank. I decided one day to see if I could wash out from behind it. Oh yeah, it washed out alright. I saw all this rust after it was clean so I took it out, which turned out to be a lot more involved than I first thought it would be.

Once it was out I saw how bad it was, it was crusted with rust. So like a noob I decided to run a wire brush over the crust. MAN!!! I was grabbing every kind of container I could find! The gas was gushing out from a ton holes big and small that were behind the shield. Thank God it only had less than a 1/4 tank in it. I had dirty dishes I grabbed from the kitchen sink, plastic cups, even the wash tub from the sink, everything. My oil change plastic tubs were all out in my shop which was to far away to run right then. The door from the carport where I was parked was right there at the kitchen. It was kinda funny afterwards.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@Grit dog,

Needless to say I got a new tank. I got to really fix it up good to rust proof it, a new sending unit and all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eatfood