Fuel Tank Shields

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Now that the cab and bed are off the frame, everything is exposed. What I had wondered about before, was pretty clear - these tub like shields the tanks sit in, are just packed with mud and water. Looks like an inch of silt all around it. Cant imagine why these tanks dont rot out faster.

Anyone ever altered them - like a slot down the middle of the bottom so that water and debris can get out? Maybe a few larger holes cut in the shield?

Just wunnerin.

fast68chevy

I am the original fast68chevy
Reaction score
First Name
RANDY
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
yep you could just open-slot them real good, to allow drain out of dirt mud water etc.. yes.. or just do away with them totally and coat the tanks with rubber under body coating,
i just did away with mine, off my tanks, on my old trusty rusty beater C20 daily driver work truck here,

i got lucky with mine.
the tanks were not rusted or anything, after having sat in a dry shed for about 20 years abandoned and untouched, and until i acquired the truck, just a couple years ago now..

before either tank managed to rust through or anything,. there was ALOT of crammed stuck mud in both of my tank shields, if you really wanted to keep the shields on yours then i wou[ld suggest taking thm off and underbody coating the tanks front ends and bottom real good then put them back on so they are at least protected from water and road salt etc.
and also modify the mounting of the shields, so that they are down a lil lower away from the bottom side of the tanks,. like a half inch, or an inch or something.,
i chose to run with no shields at all. i feel that i just dont need them on my rig.
and actually i removed and did away with my RH side tank and switch control valve solenoid assy and wire harness and all that..
I really dont need a second tank either,,,. so now i have a factory and good working 1970s dual tank hanress and switch and control solenoid valve available for anyone... parts trades or whatever hmm...

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I did away with the plastic shield on my '84. It was the #1 cause of the original rotted tank.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I have 2 new tanks (for FI) and think I'll rhino-liner the bottom halves of both and ditch the shields also.

Thanks fellas!

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I have 2 new tanks (for FI) and think I'll rhino-liner the bottom halves of both and ditch the shields also.

Thanks fellas!
Your shields must look different than mine. Mine have a slight inverted v shape drain to the sides. Here they are sitting upside down on my back tires.
You must be registered for see images attach

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Not sure - they'll be coming off sooner than later so will see. Just know that on all sides there is at least 1-2" of packed silt around it. Cant be good.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Water drains, but one of mine was packed full of old mud around the front, rusted out the tank. I'm either **** canning them or going to "port" them so can at least get some water in there to clean out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg