Fuel Tank Selector Valve needed for 5.3 LS swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ragu

Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Hello Everyone
I've completed a 2000 5.3L DBC LS swap into a 1987 Silverado R10. I switched the intank pumps to 50 psi and replaced all rubber fuel lines with high pressure fuel injection lines including Jegs 6an fittings. This is a duel tank system with duel return lines. The system worked well using the stock Fuel Tank Selector Valve for about 2000 miles then the fuel tank selector valve split. My question is, will a stock ( plastic ) replacement last with the higher pressure or is there some aftermarket replacement available for the increased fuel pressure ? I'd like to keep the duel return line system if possible. Thanks for any information

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I have been using the Pollack 6 valve selector valve on my 85 I converted. If I recall, I ordered a valve for an 87 because it was factory TBI and used the higher pressure. Maybe your stock valve was defective or fatigued? If your system is vacuum referenced, it will only see 50psi at WOT.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I have been using the Pollack 6 valve selector valve on my 85 I converted. If I recall, I ordered a valve for an 87 because it was factory TBI and used the higher pressure. Maybe your stock valve was defective or fatigued? If your system is vacuum referenced, it will only see 50psi at WOT.
87-93 TBI used 14psi. 93-95 454 TBI went up to 30psi. Nowhere near the modern 4-bar EFI fuel pressures that are running 58psi. I would look and see what the Pollack valve is rated for, hopefully it's rated for 100psi or so, that would be my expectation of something rated for a fuel injected setup.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

Description​

Pollak valves are used for switching both fuel supply and fuel return lines in dual fuel tank systems. This means there is no contamination between tanks. Ideal for use with long range tanks and dual fuel, biodiesel and SVO conversion systems. Can be used with diesel, biodiesel, oils, unleaded petrol and methanol.

Pollak 6 Port Motorised Multiport Fuel Valve​

You must be registered for see images

Pollak Codes: 42-159, 42-149, 42-1495, 42-151, 42-153, 42-300, 42-302, 42-308
Note: This is a genuine item and can be used as an OEM replacement part. Be weary of cheap Chinese imitations.

Ideal for:

• Aftermarket dual fuel tanks & Long range fuel tanks
  • 4x4's wanting to run dual fuel tanks. Allows driver to select tank A or B.
  • OEM replacement parts
  • SVO / WVO & Biodiesel Conversions

Pollak Valve Includes:

• Genuine 'Made in USA' Pollak 6 Port Valve
  • Wiring Harness
  • Wiring Diagrams
  • DPDT "On-On" Switches and power adapters also available

Valve Specifications:

• Incorporates six ports including return lines
  • Current Draw: 0.5 Amps max.
  • Voltage: 12 Volts DC - optional 24v to 12v Pollak compatible waterproof power adapter.
  • Hose Barbs:
  • Fits 3/8" I.D. Hose for fuel supply
  • Fits 5/16" I.D. Hose for return lines
  • Max Fuel Pressure - 60 PSI
  • Warranty: 12 Months
Valve remains in actuated position after power is disconnected. Motorized Fuel Tank Selector Valves can be used with Diesel, Petrol, Biodiesel and SVO. Motorised valves are driven into position by an electric motor and are stable in either position. They only draw power for a fraction of a second during transfer. A switch in the valve shuts off the motor when the valve reaches the selected position.

Note: Some Pollak codes are discontinued but the new codes are still a compatible replacement.

Pollak Valve Wiring Diagrams

Pollak Motorised Fuel Valve Discussion​

A Pollak valve is a 6 port actuated fuel valve which has been designed for people running dual fuel tanks in their cars, 4wd’s and boats. The valve allows users to quickly, on the fly, select which tank they want to be drawing fuel from and return the engines un-used fuel to. This is a great advantage especially for people touring and running extended long range fuel tanks. Suited for both petrol, biodiesel and diesel fluids, the Pollak motorized valve is purely ingenious, filling a gap in the markets current offerings.

The Pollak valve is built in the USA and is of exceptionally high quality. When it comes to fuel it pays to use quality products that you know you can trust and rely on. The Pollak fuel valve fills a niche market with the perfect solution making it the market leader.

Unlike traditional fuel solenoid valves, the Pollak valve is a motorised valve, only using power during a switch or movement operation. The internal precision cut gears ensure smooth shifting between tanks. The total shift time is typically about 1 second and in this period all 6 ports are adjusted.

The Pollak valve is unique in its design in that it includes six ports eliminating the need to run dual three way valves. Ports 1 and 2 take fuel from fuel tank A and B. Port 3 delivers fuel to the engine. Port 4 receives un-used fuel back from the engine. Ports 5 and 6 return the un-used fuel back to tank A and B. The Pollak valve is a true dual fuel tank valve as it allows users to return un-used fuel returning from the engine back to the tank it was sourced. This simple function ensures fuel is recirculated and contained as opposed to returning to the wrong tank and potentially overflowing escalating to an incident such as a spill. This feature is also important when running dual fuels, such as SVO or biodiesel, where one fuel type needs to be isolated to a single tank.

The Pollak valve comes supplied with molded hose nipples minimizing opportunities for leak points. Simply push on your fuel hoses, apply a suitably sized hose clamp and you’re away. The hose ends have been sized for the most common applications and suit 3/8” or 10mm fuel hose to your engine with 5/16”or 8mm return lines to your fuel tank. As with all fueling applications, filtration is highly recommended and the installation instructions provide further advice on where this should be installed.

The Pollak fuel valve is designed for installation downstream of your existing vehicle's fuel pump. Rated for a maximum 60psi fuel pressure the valve is suitable for most common duel tank applications.
The Pollak valve is supplied with a wiring harness which helps ensure installation is straight forward for the home handyman or workshop mechanic alike. In its simpliest terms, apply 12v across two terminals and the valve will be driven to align to tank A. Apply the 12v across another set of terminals, tank B will be selected. In addition to the Pollak valve a D.P.D.T switch can also be offered to aid in installation. This switch integrates with the Pollak valve to allow the user to easily and quickly swap between tanks A and B as required. While the fuel valve runs on 12 volts, Scintex also offers a compatible 12V to 24V power inverter, so you can easily run the Pollak valve on 24 volt systems.

The Pollak valve is design for installation in the engine bay of your vehicle. Its robust design including weather proof electrical connections and boots ensures many years of trouble free operation. The Pollak valve is well trusted across the world and this is demonstrated with its use by so many original equipment manufactures (OEM) for vehicle fueling applications. Backed with a full 12 month warranty you can trust and rely on the Pollak valve to work for you.

87chevy_com

Reaction score
First Name
Clint
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
L83
I have not installed the 2nd tank since the LS swap, but I would rather not test the strength of the valve with higher pressures than intended, I would rather use the aux tank as a transfer tank and wire it accordingly. Now that I moved on to the Gen5 swap, defiantly not pushing 72psi through the valve...

tackleberry65

Reaction score
First Name
Clay
Truck Year
Truck Model
V3500
Engine Size

Description​

Pollak valves are used for switching both fuel supply and fuel return lines in dual fuel tank systems. This means there is no contamination between tanks. Ideal for use with long range tanks and dual fuel, biodiesel and SVO conversion systems. Can be used with diesel, biodiesel, oils, unleaded petrol and methanol.

Note: This is a genuine item and can be used as an OEM replacement part. Be weary of cheap Chinese imitations.

Ideal for:

• OEM replacement parts

Pollak Valve Includes:

• Wiring Harness
  • Wiring Diagrams

Valve Specifications:

• Voltage: 12 Volts DC - optional 24v to 12v Pollak compatible waterproof power adapter.
  • Hose Barbs:
Valve remains in actuated position after power is disconnected. Motorized Fuel Tank Selector Valves can be used with Diesel, Petrol, Biodiesel and SVO. Motorised valves are driven into position by an electric motor and are stable in either position. They only draw power for a fraction of a second during transfer. A switch in the valve shuts off the motor when the valve reaches the selected position.

Note: Some Pollak codes are discontinued but the new codes are still a compatible replacement.

A Pollak valve is a 6 port actuated fuel valve which has been designed for people running dual fuel tanks in their cars, 4wd’s and boats. The valve allows users to quickly, on the fly, select which tank they want to be drawing fuel from and return the engines un-used fuel to. This is a great advantage especially for people touring and running extended long range fuel tanks. Suited for both petrol, biodiesel and diesel fluids, the Pollak motorized valve is purely ingenious, filling a gap in the markets current offerings.

The Pollak valve is built in the USA and is of exceptionally high quality. When it comes to fuel it pays to use quality products that you know you can trust and rely on. The Pollak fuel valve fills a niche market with the perfect solution making it the market leader.

Unlike traditional fuel solenoid valves, the Pollak valve is a motorised valve, only using power during a switch or movement operation. The internal precision cut gears ensure smooth shifting between tanks. The total shift time is typically about 1 second and in this period all 6 ports are adjusted.

The Pollak valve is unique in its design in that it includes six ports eliminating the need to run dual three way valves. Ports 1 and 2 take fuel from fuel tank A and B. Port 3 delivers fuel to the engine. Port 4 receives un-used fuel back from the engine. Ports 5 and 6 return the un-used fuel back to tank A and B. The Pollak valve is a true dual fuel tank valve as it allows users to return un-used fuel returning from the engine back to the tank it was sourced. This simple function ensures fuel is recirculated and contained as opposed to returning to the wrong tank and potentially overflowing escalating to an incident such as a spill. This feature is also important when running dual fuels, such as SVO or biodiesel, where one fuel type needs to be isolated to a single tank.

The Pollak valve comes supplied with molded hose nipples minimizing opportunities for leak points. Simply push on your fuel hoses, apply a suitably sized hose clamp and you’re away. The hose ends have been sized for the most common applications and suit 3/8” or 10mm fuel hose to your engine with 5/16”or 8mm return lines to your fuel tank. As with all fueling applications, filtration is highly recommended and the installation instructions provide further advice on where this should be installed.

The Pollak fuel valve is designed for installation downstream of your existing vehicle's fuel pump. Rated for a maximum 60psi fuel pressure the valve is suitable for most common duel tank applications.
The Pollak valve is supplied with a wiring harness which helps ensure installation is straight forward for the home handyman or workshop mechanic alike. In its simpliest terms, apply 12v across two terminals and the valve will be driven to align to tank A. Apply the 12v across another set of terminals, tank B will be selected. In addition to the Pollak valve a D.P.D.T switch can also be offered to aid in installation. This switch integrates with the Pollak valve to allow the user to easily and quickly swap between tanks A and B as required. While the fuel valve runs on 12 volts, Scintex also offers a compatible 12V to 24V power inverter, so you can easily run the Pollak valve on 24 volt systems.

The Pollak valve is design for installation in the engine bay of your vehicle. Its robust design including weather proof electrical connections and boots ensures many years of trouble free operation. The Pollak valve is well trusted across the world and this is demonstrated with its use by so many original equipment manufactures (OEM) for vehicle fueling applications. Backed with a full 12 month warranty you can trust and rely on the Pollak valve to work for you.
How do you know which Pollak PN is needed for a particular application?

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
It's either a 3 port or 6 port.

Drauka99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
6.0 LQ4
Youtube is your friend on this. There's a shop I watch videos for and he goes through how he does dual tanks on squares with LS swaps. Ugly Truck Experience is the channel.

wuznme

Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Truck Year
1986 & 1987
Truck Model
K30 & R10
Engine Size
6.2d & 5.3
Get 6-port for 87' they list right on the valve 58PSI

YourmyboyBlue

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra classic 1500
Engine Size

Description​

Ideal for:

• OEM replacement parts

Pollak Valve Includes:

• Wiring Harness
  • Wiring Diagrams

Valve Specifications:

• Hose Barbs:

With this system do the pick ups in the tanks need to be replaced?

I am looking to convert my 85 gms from carburated to fuel injection. Most likely an LS swap once I tackle other issues with the truck.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
With this system do the pick ups in the tanks need to be replaced?

I am looking to convert my 85 gms from carburated to fuel injection. Most likely an LS swap once I tackle other issues with the truck.
Yes. Use a factory 87 tank and hangers (pickups) that hold the pumps. They are also baffled inside. AC Delco EP385 pumps work great. I see this is your first post? Welcome to the site. Normally, I'd start the conversation with suggesting an LS swap but I see your one step ahead of me. You will fit right in! :worship:

YourmyboyBlue

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra classic 1500
Engine Size
Yes. Use a factory 87 tank and hangers (pickups) that hold the pumps. They are also baffled inside. AC Delco EP385 pumps work great. I see this is your first post? Welcome to the site. Normally, I'd start the conversation with suggesting an LS swap but I see your one step ahead of me. You will fit right in! :worship:
Yes I joined today to get pointers and helpful tips and tricks. Also willing to share anything that I find helpful on my build.

Sounds great! Can't wait to get started and learning from everyone here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedgmt400