Fuel pump questions, what route works best?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Haro504

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Hello sorry if I'm hitting on a common question but I've been searching for the answer and haven't turned up a definite answer. I have an 86 k20 with dual tanks for a carbed engine. One tank is rotted and the mounting bracket is rotted so I'm going to run a single tank instead of replacing it. It has the larger tanks in there. So when I bought the truck it had no engine and I used a tbi 350 I was going to use in my jeep for it. I converted my jeep to a gm tbi injection earlier and I figured I'd do the same for this truck since I already had the engine with the controlling wiring and ecm.
My question is what would be a better route to take for the fuel supply. I've seen people say to use an 87 r or v fuel pump for the tbi. Will that pump fit into my 86 tank or will it only fit an 87? And if it only fits an 87 will there be any trouble fitting an 87 tank into the tank brackets. I used an external airtex pump for my jeep which I find is annoyingly loud. I can use an external pump if it comes to it but I think I'd rather use an internal if its not too costly. So basically I'm asking if the 87 pump fits into the 86 tank
Thanks for any help.
Jason

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Yes, the sender demensions should be the same, the only difference between the 86 and 87 tanks, is that the 87 has baffles in it to keep fuel around the pump pickup during accell, stop and cornering. I used my 86 tank with no problems, but it will let you know when the fuel is too low. If you accell or turn hard, and it bogs, there is no guessing sbout fuel level, and what your next stop should be. But with all in tank pumps, you should not let the level get below1/4 tank, because thats what is keeping the pump cool.

Haro504

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thank you for the info I appreciate it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads