Fuel Gauge.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spool

Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Hey Guys.

Have a 1973 Chevy C20 for about 2 years now and the fuel gauge has never worked; just sits at 3/4 full.

2 years ago a mechanic tells me he tried to replace the fuse but no good and he thinks that it may be the fuel sensor.
Fair enough. Until I happened to go behind the gauge and speedometer today and found that the fuel gauge has 3 connections that are not connected to anything.

Does anybody know if I could trouble shoot this before trouble-shooting the fuel sensor?

Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_4414.jpg
    IMG_4414.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 108

74propu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
austin
Truck Year
1974 1980 1986
Truck Model
c10s/b c10 s/b c10l/b
Engine Size
5.3 / ?/454 tbi
Hey Guys.

Have a 1973 Chevy C20 for about 2 years now and the fuel gauge has never worked; just sits at 3/4 full.

2 years ago a mechanic tells me he tried to replace the fuse but no good and he thinks that it may be the fuel sensor.
Fair enough. Until I happened to go behind the gauge and speedometer today and found that the fuel gauge has 3 connections that are not connected to anything.

Does anybody know if I could trouble shoot this before trouble-shooting the fuel sensor?

Thank you.
the back of your gauge is connected the 3 spots behind the gauge are the connections 1 is ground the 2nd is the 12 volt + the 3rd is the wire for the tank sending unit .under the truck find the wire that go to the gas tank you can cut that wire and see if the gauge moves then ground it to the frame and see if the gauge moves if it don't it is the gauge that is bad if the gauge moves when grounded the sender in the tank is bad ( the gauge wire to the tank will be right there with gas lines going to the tank)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale Downes