frusturated with body work.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

86chevyk20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Liam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
ughhhh the body work on my k20 is really frusturating.

Im doing pretty good, never had any schooling for body work but ivv been teaching my self the last year or so. But this is the first time im doing the whole truck...

WHere my new cab cornors meet the cab i just cant seem to get that area perfect. i am be no means building a show truck but i really want my final paint job to look reaaly sharp.

im just frusturated it seems i spend wayy to much time on this area.

anytips? encouragement?

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Welding clamps (giant vice grips lol) help hold things really good once you get them where you want them. A 4' level makes a good straight edged for checking lower and outer alignment, and I know you know already, your door helps check alignment for the gap and outer line. Most aftermarket repair panels wont fit really great so dont be surprised if you have to smack em around a little to get them to fit just right, or cut some of it off, split, manipulate it however you need to, to get it right. Once it's tacked in use bondo-glass for the 1st fill, then regular plastic bondo for the final fill coat(s). Once you get it close primer/sand/primer/sand till you get nice feathered edges. Longer sanding blocks make a better job for making nice feathered edges. Have patience young grasshoppa!!

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
X2 what c4 said! :) ....and practice and a LOT of patience :waytogo:

86chevyk20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Liam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
thanks guys, the body lines are good. the gaps between the door and new cab cornor are good not perffect but good. im just frusturated with the sanding my orbitle sander then more bondo then more sanding and over and over then its still not perfect, still have little low or high spots.

Should i just get a good long sanding block and do it that way? to make sure i get it striaght? or can i just my square orbitle sander

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
Yes, you will definitely want to long block it to ensure everything is smooth with NO low or high spots...

86chevyk20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Liam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
thank you, i will try a long block tomr

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
thanks guys, the body lines are good. the gaps between the door and new cab cornor are good not perffect but good. im just frusturated with the sanding my orbitle sander then more bondo then more sanding and over and over then its still not perfect, still have little low or high spots.

Should i just get a good long sanding block and do it that way? to make sure i get it striaght? or can i just my square orbitle sander
I dont have the patients for body work, but I've heard that you have to long block it, you will never get it strait with a power sander.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
ughhhh the body work on my k20 is really frusturating.

Im doing pretty good, never had any schooling for body work but ivv been teaching my self the last year or so. But this is the first time im doing the whole truck...

WHere my new cab cornors meet the cab i just cant seem to get that area perfect. i am be no means building a show truck but i really want my final paint job to look reaaly sharp.

im just frusturated it seems i spend wayy to much time on this area.

anytips? encouragement?

Bottomline, you're not a pro, you're teaching yourself and learning as you go. I say if you are making it good and doing good work, time is no big deal. Take your time. I'm the same way in bodywork dawg. I know I am not that good, and body work is one of my weaknesses without doubt. But I make up for it in mechanics so no big deal. Change your frame of mind. Soon enough, you'll be able to stand back and be proud of your work. And you'll be faster on the next one. :grd: But take your time.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Silicone, self-tapping screws, and Rustoleum, and fuggit. :waytogo:

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Focus on one panel at a time and dont burn yourself out or get overwhelmed. There is reason my truck is covered in rattle can primer that I can live with for now. One panel at a time.....

I was taught by a pro and helped him out in his shop, I should be alot better at laying bondo but it still takes me a long time to make it look right.

If you put way to much bondo on you can get it semi close with a DA or orbital sander but after that get a line board sander with some 80 grit paper. after that switch to 180 until it gets closer. Finish the job with 220 sand paper. After you think its close go over it with 220 minus the sanding block in swirling motions to blend everything.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size