four gas analysis

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Yes, or the fast idle not kicking down. Vacuum leaks will cause all kinds of goofy things. When you back out the idle screw on the carb, does the idle drop, or does it stay high?

If you haven't replace vacuum hoses, I would do that even if they look good. You'd be surprised what may be leaking.

Make sure the carb bolts are snug and not over tight. You can't properly adjust timing or carb settings until there aren't any vacuum leaks.

Don't forget the brake booster hose, too, as it could be old a leaky.

Once you get the idle to settle down, if you have a vacuum gauge, use it and see what it reads. Is it low, is it bouncing, etc. After the vacuum leaks have been resolved, set your timing, adjust your carb, etc for maximum vacuum.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
short bursts of starter fluid on hoses/connections/intake should reveal vacuum leaks. Cheap ($3 at walmart) and effective. Spray some in your air intake (as a test while it's running) so you know what to listen for when you find a leak.

We're talking less than 1 minute for this test.

2 things I keep handy in the garage.....SeaFoam and Starter fluid. All for reasons listed in this post.

candyredc10

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
short bursts of starter fluid on hoses/connections/intake should reveal vacuum leaks. Cheap ($3 at walmart) and effective. Spray some in your air intake (as a test while it's running) so you know what to listen for when you find a leak.

We're talking less than 1 minute for this test.

2 things I keep handy in the garage.....SeaFoam and Starter fluid. All for reasons listed in this post.
Good idea, I was planning on using propane because that's what I've seen on YouTube but starter fluid is much cheaper and is probably easier the pinpoint.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charkmapman