Found this on Classic Olds.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
I DESPISE the pioneer stereo I put in my Olds. I hate the tiny buttons, I hate having to scroll thru the menu to access any functions, I’m seriously considering tearing it out and throwing it away. Only problem is pretty much any modern stereo will be the same problems.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
I'm old and when I drive my Chevelle, music isn't really what I want to listen to. I really like the sound of the BBC running thru the gears, sittin' my ass BACK in the seat!! The old Sparkomatic works just fine for when I do want my tunes, but that isn't very often, besides I can't hear **** anyway, except for the R's of the engine!!!!

mtbadbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
I DESPISE the pioneer stereo I put in my Olds. I hate the tiny buttons, I hate having to scroll thru the menu to access any functions, I’m seriously considering tearing it out and throwing it away. Only problem is pretty much any modern stereo will be the same problems.
Yeah, the older stuff was much better/nicer & user friendly.

cowboybob

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I posted it because I know some people despise cutting the dash for the new DIN style radios, and since I haven’t bought a cassette since the Bush administration (the FIRST Bush administration!) your options are limited if you want a CD player in your square. To be honest, CDs are obsolete.

I posted a kenwood KRC-3006 2 shaft radio and cd changer here a couple years ago. I had that stereo in my Olds probably 25years ago, then I had it in my 81 GMC for awhile. I removed it when I installed a modern DIN radio. It had been sitting in my dads shed for probably 10 years. I was really surprised how much interest it generated, and how quickly it sold.

I just looked on classic Olds, it hasn’t sold yet. If someone is looking for some better tunes in their truck, this is a decent period correct option. Nothing says “ im embracing geezerhood” like CCR on a pioneer cassette deck, on the way to dinner at 4:30!!

As picky as some of you squarebody guys are about factory equipment, you got NOTHING on the Olds guys!!! There was a thread a few months ago about the part numbers for the proper bolts for the NOS catalytic converter a guy was installing on a 84 Delta 88 4 door. Give me a break!!!!
Thanks for the lead on that Alpine set-up. It’s on it’s way to me now!

TPISly-C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sly
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 shortbox
Engine Size
LQ4 6.0L
i choose Retrosound to keep a old fashion kit with modern feature ;)

Attachments

• C-116-37-73_1f7d3090-a112-4363-9fc9-d69cc4f8e7f7_1800x1800.jpg
    C-116-37-73_1f7d3090-a112-4363-9fc9-d69cc4f8e7f7_1800x1800.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 60

Flatwater

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I am going to completely avoid the Pioneer vs. Alpine debate and get back to the original topic of the vintage radio. In my limited experience showing classic vehicles I have been surprised by the reactions folks have to the radio/stereo in the dash. Having something "period correct" whether it is the OE radio or a vintage aftermarket is something that people notice and always comment on. It may not seem too important compared to all the other things we do in a restoration but it definitely completes the build. So, thank you to @Matt69olds for posting this.

This original factory radio with the 8 track player gets more comments and more smiles than I ever imagined it would. Every time I show the Trans Am we place an 8 track in the slot and have a box full of 8 tracks in the back seat.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach
My ‘65 Galaxie had an 8-track on player. Mom and Dad let my dig thru their stash for some tunes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes