Ford guy here lol

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnTaurus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Custom
Engine Size
250 CID Inline 6
Advancements can also suck real bad. I have an 05 Lincoln Aviator. DOHC 4.6 with the best set of DOHC heads ford did(DC heads). 117,000 miles and the tensioners and guides went.

You would think, hey timing chains not a big deal. Screw that Ford wants $3,100. Its so damn advanced as to be a complete and utter pain to do myself. 6 sprockets, 4 chains, plus tensioners and guides. I have the timing set but no patience for it yet.

Screw Fords advancements, give me a simple Chevy any day.

Well, that engine has been phased out, but you can enjoy the diesel-like noise a newer direct-injected 5.3L makes at idle, especially when it gets to or over 100k. The older 5.3L was a good engine, the newer versions are garbage.

Neither one (Ford or GM) are perfect, but I was mostly speaking of the entire truck, not just engines. Each have their faults, and I was in no way insinuating that Ford was perfect.

My real thoughts are, as long as you don't buy a current Tundra, I'm happy for your choice! LOL!

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
Well, that engine has been phased out, but you can enjoy the diesel-like noise a newer direct-injected 5.3L makes at idle, especially when it gets to or over 100k. The older 5.3L was a good engine, the newer versions are garbage.

Neither one (Ford or GM) are perfect, but I was mostly speaking of the entire truck, not just engines. Each have their faults, and I was in no way insinuating that Ford was perfect.

My real thoughts are, as long as you don't buy a current Tundra, I'm happy for your choice! LOL!

I suppose you could get a 5.0L F150 that eats oil. Lol

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
Welcome to Chevy Truck Land! Nice old basic truck you have there.:cheers:

As for Fords, my last daily drivers were a 2011 F150 and now a 2016 Mustang GT. Both were/have been rock solid reliable. On the other hand my wife's new 2014 Acadia, which we had hoped to keep for 7-8 years, probably went in for repairs 10-12 times over a 4 year/ 58K mile period. The straw that broke the camel's back was a leaking PS hose that took out the PS pump, and maybe even the rack. I'll never know because we traded it in before we paid AT LEAST $2,200 for the repairs. And that was only a year after I paid around $1,000 to get the radio/nav unit replaced! She now has a Japanese SUV which has been literally 100% reliable for 2.5 years/30K miles. NoMoGM for me!

BTW, I've always lusted after a 350hp AWD Focus RS. Car & Driver called it a "Fire-breathing shuttle to the X-Games."
Had a Focus RS 2017 RS2 for about a yr, the blue one of course.
Nice toy but unreliable. Had a recall within the first month, something with the head. Out of service for 5 weeks. Then the HVAC system went out, another 3 weeks. Not ideal in TX to not have AC. Then it would sometimes forget to auto turn off the lights and drain the battery. It had maybe 1000 miles on it.

JohnTaurus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Custom
Engine Size
250 CID Inline 6
Welcome to GMSB from Virginia

Thanks! I like your truck.

Went and filled up mine today, it's my week to drive to work, but my co-worker/cousin doesn't want to ride without a/c lol. Oh well, there's plenty of airflow in the cab, and our entire drive is outside of the city.

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
Bowtie or cry. I like that ol' red ford.....68?

JohnTaurus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Custom
Engine Size
250 CID Inline 6
Bowtie or cry. I like that ol' red ford.....68?

It's a 1969 F-100 Ranger shortbed. Originally came with a 390 which has long since been removed and it has a tired old 70s 351. I plan on a Cummins 4 cylinder turbodiesel for it.

Edit: from about 1967-1986, I much prefer GM trucks, as far as styling, etc. The 1969 Ford has been in the family for decades, so that's why I have it and will never part with it. I wouldn't have chosen it, personally, like if it was just some random truck for sale.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BryantRiverRat