Flywheel and Pressure plate bolts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maknwine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Is it acceptable to reuse the Flywheel and pressure plate bolts? Just resurfaced the flywheel for the new BluePrint 5.7 and ready to put on the new Luk clutch disk and pressure plate.

thanks
Tom

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Is it acceptable to reuse the Flywheel and pressure plate bolts? Just resurfaced the flywheel for the new BluePrint 5.7 and ready to put on the new Luk clutch disk and pressure plate.

thanks
Tom
Good to go. Loctite.

Maknwine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
It would have been great if when I removed the engine I had gone ahead and removed the bell housing and clutch fork to inspect for wear or broken parts. So lesson learnt.

Broken clutch fork retainer spring, worn pivot ball, and release bearing looks to have the signs that the spring was on the wrong side of bearing or possibly got ****-eyed when the ear on the spring broke. IDK, I'm no mechanic but my dad thought the clutch felt funny to him years ago when the truck was on the road the few miles I was able to use it.

Hopefully, someone is helped by this to order all the parts at once and save some time anyway. Good catch dad!
You must be registered for see images attach

Maknwine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Heres another shot of the release bearing wear marks.

Maknwine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Does it matter if the old engine removed had a (needle) pilot bearing vs the Luk clutch assembly I bought has a pilot bushing? Its a manual transmission.

EDIT: After actually opening the plastic the pilot was in to see it better it is a pilot bearing and not a bushing. I guess I'll use the bearing as it was free with purchase.

Last edited:

Daron58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
250 I6
I personally prefer the bronze bushings over the needle bearing hands down, and if the motor is out go ahead and replace the shift fork, dust boot and the throw out bearing for no more than it costs, you will know that it’s right going back with new clutch and motor just my 2 cents

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
I just like the needle bearing pilot. I haven't had any issues.

Maknwine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Thanks all, I've got a new pivot ball and clutch forkin the shopping cart. The boot was MIA so one's in there as well. Alot of reading suggest the bushing is preferred.

My only thoughts is this truck isn't going to be a daily driver by no means. Pulling a 7K lb tractor around some but nothing commercial type daily use so maybe the bearing wont matter too much. Now that I've said that....murphy's law in effect.

Maknwine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Here's the old pilot bearing. Running yr finger over the edge you can feel it got kocked up somehow as it has a sharp edge sticking up. I almost believe the oring seal is on the wrong side of the recess. As I understand it, the seal should be facing the trans side to keep grease in and trash out.

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
I'd be more concerned about all that rust on the crankshaft flange which pilot bearing is best.,, It has to be dead square with the main bearing bore or the flywheel will wobble.. You may be looking at removing the crankshaft and having that flange re-machined, flywheel too...

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Here's the old pilot bearing. Running yr finger over the edge you can feel it got kocked up somehow as it has a sharp edge sticking up. I almost believe the oring seal is on the wrong side of the recess. As I understand it, the seal should be facing the trans side to keep grease in and trash out.

Wire wheel it and see what you have, should be okay

Maknwine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Wire wheel it and see what you have, should be okay
Oh that is in the old block, so I wont be doing anything further with that motor. I'm the super slow guy with a brand new BP engine. I probably should have used that thread for this but I'm embarrassed to admit its taking me this long to get the motor in/done. I was hoping my next post in that thread was the install.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad