Blue Print or GM Performance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maknwine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size

After reading alot of negative reviews on the standard remanufactured motor, I'm leaning to one of these for the C30. Seems like the BPE has alot more upgrade vs the GMP motor for not much more money. I plan to reuse my TBI and intake manifold from the motor I pulled so maybe the HP of the BPE wont be as advertised? The GMP motor is a brand new block and new cylinder head also is roller camshaft ready but doubt I'd ever change it.

Appreciate anyone's experience with either vendor.

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
I've read a lot of good about Bluprint. That's who I was looking at until I bought this truck and it ran.

Rustisbest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I've been happy with my Blueprint crate so they get my vote. Their ad says it works with factory tuning. Roller cam vs the GM flat tappet. I've read of too many flat tappet failures the last few years to trust em from anyone. Just my opinion.

RanchWelder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
--------
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
355ci
My truck came with a Marine 5.7L with Forged Pistons and the GM performance Crank.
I used the EDL-7116 dual plane intake, a 1" tall Chaos split 2" diameter holes' TBI adapter (and the stock 5.7L TBI, for now). The adaptor allows for the upgraded larger bored TBI and a tune/chip or the Holley Sniper, later.

I have read good things about the Blue Print Heads and the aftermarket aluminum heads they sell. However, you should be aware the GM Performance Vortec Heads are much more advanced than aftermarket heads. Nobody is allowed to match the intake design of the GM Vortec heads, unless you pay an aftermarket race head machinists to build you custom heads. The GM Vortec's are in a class of their own. Especially the newer versions, which are thicker castings and better quality than the OEM versions from 1994. The intake runner is custom casting, not used by any other aftermarket head company selling "Vortec Style" heads. They call the bolt pattern "vortec", not the casting runners...

Before you make your decision, call these guys:

The marine version has brass freeze plugs. If you get the forged pistons and add on the GM Cast Iron performance crank and actual GM Performance Vortec heads, you might be better off in the long run. My Marine Jasper Engine did not come with heads, it was a short block.

The GM Performance engines from Mex have had customer complaints. Too many for my nerves.
Somebody WAS sending out poor quality control engines... unless this has been rectified, it bothers me greatly. I have read comments from world class custom car builders saying six or seven in a row bad. (This is not good).

At the end of it all it's the man or woman who machines and the quality of the parts.
My heads are NOT GM Performance Vortec, they are sub standard copies. They flow OK, but are not the real deal. Blue Print seems to make good stuff. Ask them if they will install GM Performance Vortec heads?

From my personal experience, Jasper makes good stuff too. Call them and get a quote for the best engine you can afford with the exact parts you want. Package deals are not usually the best option, from any vendor. Small customization, can lead to a much more reliable engine because it gets built by a different team in the factory.

Hunter79764

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V20
Engine Size
I don't have any real firsthand experience with either, but I know my uncle installed a Blueprint 383 into his boat and had a couple good seasons of hard use with no issues. It ran good and would just about suck the water out from under the boat. I don't recall any complaints, I'm sure they did the basic maintenance, but it was not rated as a marine engine either. Seemed like a good buy for them.

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
I went with the gm performance (sp/357) crate engine. Rips pretty well in my k-5, 357hp, 409tq, roller cam, vortec heads.

You must be registered for see images attach

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
A few years back I did a GM replacement 454. I went that route incase I had a problem, I could go to a GM dealer to fix it.

Big Ray

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I vote Blueprint. You can get it tuned, broken in, and dynoed, ready to install and go.

Many years back on another forum a young man bought the big GM 572 HO. He disassembled it to verify clearances and what not and found more than a few problems he had to fix on his dime.
Always stuck with me....

FireTruck1984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
1984 and 1984
Truck Model
High Sierra K1500 350. Sierra Classic C1500 305.
Engine Size
350, 305
Ive had my GM Performance 350 High Performance Crate Engine for 5 years… it’s been great, with Zero issues. I Love it!
Hope my experience helps with your question/decision

Buck69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
D30 CUCV
Engine Size
6.2 (removed)

After reading alot of negative reviews on the standard remanufactured motor, I'm leaning to one of these for the C30. Seems like the BPE has alot more upgrade vs the GMP motor for not much more money. I plan to reuse my TBI and intake manifold from the motor I pulled so maybe the HP of the BPE wont be as advertised? The GMP motor is a brand new block and new cylinder head also is roller camshaft ready but doubt I'd ever change it.

Appreciate anyone's experience with either vendor.
Haven't seen a tbi on a pre-vortec (12 bolt intake). Are you sure it isn't the later vortec (8 bolt intake) engine you want?
Probably just a generic pic they chose, but the second pic in the gmperformance link you posted, shows a pic of the (sawtooth head) vortec engine. Weird.

Maknwine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Haven't seen a tbi on a pre-vortec (12 bolt intake). Are you sure it isn't the later vortec (8 bolt intake) engine you want?
Probably just a generic pic they chose, but the second pic in the gmperformance link you posted, shows a pic of the (sawtooth head) vortec engine. Weird.
I did not even notice the difference in heads from the 1st pic to the 2nd pic on the GM link....you got a great eye.
I'm not as educated about the differences in the 350's to say for sure but my IM has 12 bolt holes. Looking at the first pic, I think I can count 6 holes on the driver sd head for the IM.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8