fluid cavitation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

78 K-10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
cheyne
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
big word huh.. well i think i might have put a little too much fluid in my tranny cuz a few weeks after i installed it i punched the throttle bout 3/4 just to test the tranny with my quadrajets secondaries kickin in. this was just a test right in front of my house so naturally i then pulled into my driveway and crawled under my truck and **** a brick when i saw tranny fluid glazing my trans like a glazed donut. Immediately i called my transmission builder and was freaking out. he said calm down you just put a little too much fluid in it and appreantly ive got a trans with a blowout valve. so since then i assumed it was now at a good level but i think there may still be too much fluid in it because it randomly makes a buzz/whine when warm in park or in drive if im not moving (with brakes on like at a drivethrough) so heres a little thing i found, i know its on the 400 and i have a 350 but same concept ,

look at pdf first page bottom right

http://books.google.com/books?id=ob...ne from fluid cavitation transmission&f=false

78 K-10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
cheyne
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
or is it low fluid.. seems fine on dipstick but could a 1/4 quart make a difference? also i heard it could be a clogged filter but my trans fluid is impeccable and i flushed all lines before instal

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Is it possible the dipstick is not the right one for your truck, making it read low? Like an aftermarket dipstick? Does the fluid look foamy/airated? Sounds like your trans guy is right according to that book. Good link by the way! :waytogo:

78 K-10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
cheyne
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
my dipstick is aftermarket.. but i saved the original.. good call ill check with other dipstick. my aftermarket one just has a good rubber seal on top to keep out moisture. fluid dosnt look foamy at all

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Could just be an air pocket gradually working itself out. Of course I'm talking out my ass on that one, HotRodPC or oneluckypops would probably be the best ones to chime in on this one.

78 K-10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
cheyne
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
well looks like too much fluid. and i noticed my tranny cooler looks like its leaked recently. guess ill have to get a 6 pack of beers tomorrow, take my grill off, squirt out some tranny fluid and wipe down my trans cooler and just rock no grill for a few days while i keep an eye out on the trans cooler.. i just had to burnout the other night. saw some girls i knew and they said, 'nice ride, can u light em up..' and i had a few beers, plus since it was wet out i said oh what the hell.. maybe that plus too much fluid mad the trans cooler squirt some.. didnt look fresh.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
So was there a difference between the stock and aftermarket dipstick?

78 K-10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
cheyne
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
yes mostly just the etched line where the full mark is

Forum statistics

Threads