Fix Slamming Doors - Striker Door Latch Repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brooksman9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado & Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
350 & 305
Damn, I just pulled two brand new ones out of a summit box.

sidschev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
sidney
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
haha I just added blue pex to my doors and oh my gosh ,,,,,,ITS like night and day what a great fix no more slamming doors . Thank you , Thank you i could not believe this was such an easy fix. The doors close so easy now.....this should be a sticky or sumtum.....

Dstringer

Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I never knew there was supposed to be anything there. I've adjusted that striker every which way and still have to slam the doors. Is it possible to pull the strike pin all the way off so the pvc isn't cut? I don't want to loosen it too much and hear something go "clink" as it falls into the bowels of the sheetmetal.

Oh, I should mention a piece of nylon string cuts pvc pipe about as fast as a blade but leaves a nice smooth edge.
there is a way to pull the strikers off, you have to take the kickdoor speakers out and get a magnet to catch the nut that is on the back of the striker when u loosen it

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
So pursuant to this same issue and fix, where the door latch rubs the striker (pic below), I presume this is just a little sag in the door over time. Drivers side is always worse than passenger for obvious reasons.
Is the proper way to fix to shim the door back “up” a little? Which requires removing the fender.
Both of my trucks are like this and probably every other one out there. But my door pins are not sloppy or worn out. Just the grinding every time hurts the brain…
Has anyone just lowered the striker a bit? Always hate to mess with good closing relatively straight doors.
You must be registered for see images attach

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
So pursuant to this same issue and fix, where the door latch rubs the striker (pic below), I presume this is just a little sag in the door over time. Drivers side is always worse than passenger for obvious reasons.
Is the proper way to fix to shim the door back “up” a little? Which requires removing the fender.
Both of my trucks are like this and probably every other one out there. But my door pins are not sloppy or worn out. Just the grinding every time hurts the brain…
Has anyone just lowered the striker a bit? Always hate to mess with good closing relatively straight doors.
I have. It can help allot

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I have. It can help allot
Just moving the striker down a smidge?
I understand that raised portion of the striker supports the weight of the door to keep it from “bouncing” in dynamic situations (bumps in the road) so it can’t be moved down to not contact the plate it ride on in the door.
I’ll try it when I get a chance. Thanks for the input !

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
On door strikers like these, the only thing I would say is rotate them so the worn part is not showing and its in the same place. If your door is saging enough that getting it to close nicely is a problem, I would avoid downward adjustment as much as possible BUT a slight adjustment outward toward the door of the striker with the smallest change downward would be most helpful if your door seals are in a good condition, and that you have the auxiliary weather-stripping on the door itself

Grit dog, I think your trucks are both high trim 1980s trucks yes? If so, you probably have the door-attached weather stripping that goes around the forward part and wraps around the top and ends by the base of the window near the striker area((IIRC, the ford seal is shorter and I remember the chevy seal being more substantial but still not around the whole thing)

if you have that, and they are in good shape, see if you can get any outward adjustment without creating an air leak. I have original seals on my f150 and used backing cord pushed around the perimeter to bulk up the strip and then the striker slightly downward and moved outward. I found the outward adjustment helps get the door onto it and fully latch with a normal closing motion while the slightly lower helps the door start on the striker without just hitting and getting rejected. But my driver door also had been attempted to be either broken into by thief or my gpa leaving the keys in (top of door pulled outward) I did correct it best I could so I dont think that plays any difference here. I say experience about my f150 because the door seal, door striker, and the latch for the most part are the same exact setup just inferior ford.
On newer GM vehicles, like my silverado, the door striker is 2 posts , and by adjusting the angle of the inner post compared to the outer, you can aid a sagging door by having the first post be lower than OE but then have the second post be higher, effectively "ramping" the latch and door up as it closes.

If you are daring enoguh you could also gently jack the door up in an attempt to correct the sag the opposite direction but I would only do this once, as soon as its a problem again its then going to be fatigue for the metal to the point its going to get worse till something gives, and you dont want that to give haha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1975K20