Finally got a squarebody...for my daughter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mshawn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Micah
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10,jimmy,k10
Engine Size
Just wanted to say hi from Texas, I just purchased a 1973 sierra grande longbed 454 for my daughter. She is 14 so I have time to get the truck nice and purdy. Truck has 193k original miles and I am super stoked to get a new project that the wife approves of O_O. Truck is solid and runs and drives good. Only thing i was told that i had to do was to put and AC system in it(wife) and a different radio(daughter) as it is AM only.

Currently plans are to pull the 454/th400 and rebuild them, covert the rear to disc brakes, fix the 3 spots of rust above the rear wheels and drivers door. The start on restoring the interior. I am very open to any suggestions and ideas, especially if someone know a good complete AC system that works well.

Side note the wife did say that whatever I do to the truck do it as if it was mine. so during engine rebuilding it has a good chance of getting bored 30 over and a good single plane intake and a carb upgrade to 750 and maybe a mild cam to wake up the torque in the motor.

I have been reading as much as i can and i believe the 73 still had the high nickel block and steel crank in can anyone confirm this. I will know more once i get the engine out and stripped hoping for some of those 049 heads

I tend to ramble but Hey everyone

G
Did we just become best FRIENDS???? YEP!!!!

oldretiredafguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1988, 1988, 1991, 1983
Truck Model
GMC V-Jimmy, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC-2500 CrewCab
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350
Thanks for the encouragement and replies, dual plane will be the way to go (edelbrock performer air gap looks good), i am used to using single plane intakes on the strokers i have done in the past. I agree the drum brakes will stop it fine i just hate hate replacing brake shoes lol.

G
Unless you or your daughter are planning on using the truck in a delivery service operation, most quality brake shoes should last for many years. IMHO disc brakes would be a very unnecessary modification, especially on a half ton.

That being said welcome to the forum from a neighbor just to the North and West!

You must be registered for see images attach

Beautiful truck in it's current stance

Dryriver1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
1984, 1999,
Truck Model
1984 Chevy Silverado K10, 1999 Chevy 2 door Tahoe 4x4
Engine Size
350 cid, 5.7
Welcome from west Texas!

Great looking Rig! Hope it stays with her for years to come.

Dryriver1

Dryriver1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
1984, 1999,
Truck Model
1984 Chevy Silverado K10, 1999 Chevy 2 door Tahoe 4x4
Engine Size
350 cid, 5.7
K, so I am new to this site but have this bad boy that belonged to my dad before he passed. It had sat for about 10 plus years before I got it. I've done much if not all of the work on it myself despite being a disabled veteran. But we have replaced the wiring harness, we need to work on the fuel lines and relocate them to the outside of the chassi with new steel lines in order to get them away from the headers. The intake is an Ebay Air Gap and Rochester but will be getting a 90-degree heater hose fitting to go to the right side of the intake to compensate for the lack of being able to get the parts down at the local Napa and their inability to find the correct Bypass hose and fitting. More progress and up0dates yet to go. I also have installed an American shifter but had to build the shifter part of it by using a Jack Handle and a steel rod to make it more old school.

Welcome from west Texas!
Thank you for your Service to our USA !

Very nice 30. Hope to see it posted as it comes along.

Be well and stay safe out there. Best wishes to you and all of your loved ones always!

Dryriver1